Beer Slurry Starter for Skeeter Pee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

Reaction score
I kegged a 2.5 gallon batch of dry-hopped pale ale and when I went to clean the fermenter I wondered what hopped Skeeter Pee would taste like. So I threw in the ingredients from the original SP recipe and away it went. The yeast is S-05.
It sure is ugly, but it smells good.....

Anyone made hopped Skeeter Pee?

Hopped SP.jpg

I doubt you will get much hop action just putting it on top of spent dry hops without a boil.

Am I missing something? I presume the "spent hops" are part of the yeast slurry and the idea is not to re-activate "spent" hops but to simply use the yeast cake. No?

I don't have any goal in mind other than seeing what happens if one uses a beer slurry to start a batch of skeeter pee.

Will it still come out the same as the original?
WIll it have a slight green tint, but taste the same?
WIll the hops change the flavor? Will that be a good thing?
Will it be undrinkable ?

I like to experiment and this was really quick and cheap. I just thought it was funny how horribly ugly it is.

I'll post the results in a couple of months.

I guess I am always surprised that home brewers view the very minimum size for any experimental batch as 5 -6 gallons. Would the beer gods strike you down if you experimented with a single gallon? The wine gods wouldn't. And so if the final result was undrinkable swill at the most you would have to pour down the drain a gallon. Much easier to toss a gallon out than swallow 5 gallons of pigswill. But it is unlikely to be awful. The bigger problem is that you think it MIGHT BE and still you decided to make enough for an army.

The thing about SP is that the slurry WILL modify the color and the flavor but only a little (of course, if the slurry is 50% of the total must then it could have a LARGE impact. My money is on the idea that after it clears the color will be very faint , but as for the hops... They might provide a somewhat intense vegetative flavor. Even after dry hopping you want to remove the hops from the alcohol within about two weeks at most.

And here's the other thing about SP. There is really no formal "original" flavor. Whatever slurry anyone used will flavor and color the SP. You used slurry from strawberry wine, that will be very different from the lees from grape wines, and those will be very different from a yeast cake from blueberry wine. Me? I make SP using lab cultured yeast. Different yeasts will have noticeable impact on the final result but noticeable does not necessarily imply good or bad. If I use the same yeast, then the batches will be very similar.

It looked like this was finished fermenting so I racked it into gallon jugs this weekend. I put about 8 ounces in a bottle and cold crashed it in the fridge.
Tonight I sampled it. The hop aroma is there, but it tastes like grapefruit (Cascade hops). No vegetative flavor at all. Adding a little sugar makes the flavor more intense. My son and I both preferred it without any sugar. We are going to enjoy sipping it this summer.

I have another batch of beer in the fermenter. It's the same recipe with the same yeast, but I'm not going to dry hop it this time. When I pull it out of the fermenter I'm going to make another batch of Skeeter Pee and see how the lack of dry hopping makes a difference.

Hopped SP Clear.jpg

Latest posts

Back