beer shop apricots or preserves??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
So check it out fellas and ladies I don't have very much brewing under my belt but have made a a decent west coast pale ale and American hef. I have a sweet stout another American hef and dunklewiezen in the closet..that's cool and all but I've done what most newer brewers do and decided to spread my mugs and fly! Now I've decided to brew my own recipe something for summer I've decided on what I call. Nelgs spring apricot pale ale. Here's my ingredients thus far

Hops I wanted to use some citra for bittering and sorache for aroma.
Then some bries light dme and crystal 15 l and I'm using cream al wl yeast...thing is my brew shop was out of sorache so I substituted with amirillo and instead of the crystal I wanted I settled for Belgium caravienne..no as for the apricots they had some gnarley purée stuff and advised me to use 2 full cans otherwise IDE have off notes and it would be considered a "bad beer" can I use preserves? Can I purée my own without fear of contamination? This guy knew what he was talkin about but everytime I see this guy he comes off like a jerk I know I'm new . But jeez get off the high horse. Anyways anyone can help me with my apricot dilemma it would be very appreciated I'm sure whoever drank my beer would shake your hand! Cheers!

I'm fairly new myself but just recently bottled an Apricot pale made with puree... it still needs to condition but tasted awesome before bottling. Had a nice, very subtle Apricot flavor (recipe called for 4oz of extract but I halved this so it has just brings it out without making it overwhelming). This is based on the NB Dry Dock Apricot Blonde kit but I added a little wheat and a lot more hops...

Apey A - Apricot Pale Ale

Style: American Pale Ale OG: 1.054
Type: Extract FG: 1.010
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.76 %
Calories: 175 IBU's: 64.72
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.57 Gal
Color: 6.3 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 10 days @ 68.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.30 lbs 71.59 % NB Gold Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 11.36 % Briess Golden Light DME 60 mins 1.045
1.00 lbs 11.36 % Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt 60 mins 1.038
0.50 lbs 5.68 % Briess Caramel 20L 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.65 ozs 27.31 Centennial 60 mins 12.80
0.55 ozs 16.93 Simcoe 30 mins 12.20
0.35 ozs 8.91 Centennial 20 mins 12.80
0.75 ozs 7.82 Cascade 15 mins 6.40
0.25 ozs 1.50 Cascade 9 mins 5.50
0.45 ozs 2.24 Simcoe 3 mins 12.20
2.00 ozs Cascade 10 days 5.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 09 mins Boil
49.00 oz Apricots 07 days Primary
2.00 oz Apricot Extract 02 weeks Bottling

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
4.40 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 68.0°F 2.50

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.760

Typically, you would let your beer ferment to completion, then rack it to a secondary fermenter on top of the fruit. The yeast in the beer will kick back up again and start a secondary fermentation, eating up all the fruit sugars. The thing in preserves that I would be leery of are the additional ingredients beyond the fruit - pectin, sugar, etc. You can puree fruit yourself with no problem. Another option is to cut the fruit up, then freeze it to help break down the cell walls, then thaw and add the fruit pieces.

Good luck!

Back