Beer/Road Trip! (And Family Stuff)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessBrewing

Reaction score
Ok so my wife wants to go see her grandmother in Sedro-Woolley (Never been there). I want to pick up some of the local beer's while I'm there and mail them back to Houston. And I would like some suggestions for the trip of places to go for great beer or even just some micro brews/brewerys that you could recommend.

We are leaving 6/18 flying into Seattle and driving into Sedro Wooley. While we are there we will be going to Deception Pass and should be in the area until saturday the 21st. At that point we'll drive over to Anacortes, take the ferry through the San Juan and Lopez Islands (crossing the Canada/US border) to Sidney, on Vancouver Island, B.C.

We're staying in Victoria (short drive down from Sidney) for 3 nights.

On the 24th we'll take a ferry across the Strait of Juan de Fuca (crossing back over the Canada/US border) to Port Angeles, WA on the Olympic Peninsula. We'll drive down Hwy 101/Pacific Coast Scenic Byway to Bainbridge Island and take another ferry across Puget Sound to Seattle. We'll be in Seattle two nights, checking out and flying back home on the 26th.

I know someone is in or around the area and can help me with some suggestions of what to do and where to go.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Preston

Sedro Wolley is a very small town. It tends to be farmers and people from up river. What you need to is travel up to Bellingham, which is about 20 min north. Once you are there you must visit Boundry Bay Brewing. Their IPA and Scotch is fantastic. It will be well worth the trip.

That's going to be a great trip. The San Juan Islands are absolutely beautiful. You can check out San Juan Brewing Co. in Friday Harbor

I'll second Boundary Bay Brewing in Bellingham. They're my favorite Washington State brewery.

Victoria is a great city as well and also has quite a few beweries. Canoe, Spinnaker's, Hugo's, Swan's and Phillips are a few. Anacortes has Anacortes Brewing and Rockfish Grill, There's Flyer's in Oak Harbor that's outstanding as well as Silver City in Silverdale. On your drive up to Sedro Wooley, you can stop by Skagit Brewing in Mt. Vernon, LaConner Brewing in LaConner and Bird's Eye Brewing in Concrete.

Too many to mention really, but let me know when you get to Seattle. I'd be happy to meet up for a beer. I live downtown and there are 9 breweries within walking distance of my house.

Check out this link to a post I made awhile back when dblvsn was coming to town. It references some of my favorite places for beer in the Seattle area.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=265914&postcount=4

I know you are leaving tomorrow but I just saw this post and hope you see it before leaving. Out by Mt Baker is the North Fork Brewery - Some of the best Italian food I've ever had as well as great beer! You will enjoy the drive as it is beautiful and not far. http://www.northforkbrewery.com/
You really also need to go to Boundary Bay in Bellingham (Brewmaster is a genius) Also you can check out http://www.honeymoonmead.net/ for some really great mead - real close to Boundary Bay in proximity. You'll love the area! Bring a sweatshirt or at least some long sleeve shirts - it's a little cooler here than in Houston. PM me if you need anything else.

when you come up to deception pass you have go into Oak Harbor and visit Flyers. Great food and great beer

http://www.washingtonbrewersguild.org/map.htm

This will send you to a map of breweries. I would also like to endorse Boundary Bay on of my favorites. Also if it fits visit Maritime Pacific and Diamond Knot. There are so many good ones around here that you probably will not go wrong.

Also - check out Brouwer's Grand Flemish Cafe in Fremont - great selection even if they are a little pricey.
http://www.brouwerscafe.com/draught.pdf
That is just their draught list - they also have a large bottle selection.

Cheers.

Well we did not get to go to all the brewpubs we (or I) wanted to. But here are the highlights
First brewery we went to was "The Beer Shrine". This was a little place out in the middle of no where. We were headed up to Mt Baker on highway542 and on the side of the road were HOPS vines. You know I had to stop in. We spent some time there and got a tour of the brewery. If you have never been there, You should! I had the following tasters (because I was driving) ESB, Porter, Hefe, IPA, and Brown Ale. SWIMBO loved the Porter (Looks like I will be making lots of porters in an attempt to clone this one)

Second brewery we went to was " Boundary Bay in Bellingham" We met Stpoynter and his SWIMBO there.
Washington_Canada_2008_355.jpg

I had tasters of everything. My wife said it looked like I had a drinking problem with all the glasses there on the table. I finally picked their special Scotch. WOW that was good!

After that we headed up to Canada "A" and stayed on Vancouver Island, I only drank local craft beers, nothing really stood out there so I started asking other patrons to recommend some local beers. I was finally getting somewhere then. Had some nice beers from Vancouver Island Brewery, and Spinnakers Gastro Brewpub.

The third brewery was the Rockfish Grill in Anacortes. I met the brew master there and got a tour of the brewery. I had a very good Maibock and the wife had their Honey Cream Ale to go with our Fish and Chips.

Then On to Seattle where we met up with Brewtopia at Collins Pub.
Washington_Canada_2008_627.jpg

We did not have a lot of time in Seattle and beeing that it was SWIMBO's Birthday, We did what she wanted, walked around, shopping, we ate at some nice pubs and restaurants, but I stayed true to only ordering local Craft beer.

It turned out to be a very fun trip and I will be going back to try and make some more brewery tour's.

IMHO we need to go see family more often!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thanks Stpoynter and Brewtopia for taking some time out of the day to meet me and SWYMBO for a Pint! :tank:

Cheers :mug:

Preston

Back