Beer recipe to clear out my inventory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a lot of ingredients that I know I just won’t use up unless I design a specific recipe for them.
I have a pack of Fermentis S-33 and a few different caramel/crystal malts from Castle Malting I want to try out. Cara gold (45L), cara ruby (caravienna 20L), cara blonde (8L). I also have quite a bit of Belgian Pilsner malt that I haven’t been using and some wheat and barley flakes.

I would like to use up some Taurus and Aurora hops but it would also be possible to use East Kent Golding, Tettnang, Willamette, Belma, Mittelfrüh, Mount Hood, Northern Brewer, Summit or Target.
I was thinking about brewing a red like the following:

5 Gallon Batch:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Chateau Pilsner 2 Row (2L) Grain 1 57.1 %
1.25 kg Chateau Melano (30L) Grain 2 23.8 % (a darker version of melanoidin malt)
0.50 kg Chateau Munich (10L) Grain 3 9.5 %
0.25 kg Barley, Flaked Grain 4 4.8 %
0.25 kg Chateau Cara Gold (45L) Grain 5 4.8 %

60min Infusion at 151oF
90 min Boil
60 min 1/2oz Taurus
15 min 1oz Aurora
1oz Aurora - whirlpool
40 to 50 IBUs

S-33 Yeast
OG 1.056 FG 1.013 Alk-5.7%
Colour - 12oL

This will be a fairly malty beer, could it work with those hops or would it be better to use some of the other hops I listed above?
Maybe bitter with Target and use EKG for flavor Aroma?
Some dry hopping would also be interesting as I won’t want to re-use the yeast cake.

I appreciate any suggestions. :mug:

Back