Beer overflow after opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sergiy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i met a problem with my beer. After opening i had i huge amount of foam and beer taste was over-carbonated and feels yeasty. I kept it for 2 week for bottle conditioning and 1.5 week in fridge. Also i had very hot environment while fermenting. Should i give it more time in a fridge or i missed something during fermentation/bottle condition?

If you have gushers (or near gushers), there are a finite number of possible causes...

- too much priming sugar
- priming sugar not evenly mixed in the beer
- Beer not done fermenting when bottled
- Wild yeast or bacteria contamination
- Hop creep (uncommon)

I calculate priming sugar with calculator brewer friend, boil it and add to wort. Fermenting was done, but very quickly because i had very hot environment.

I calculate priming sugar with calculator brewer friend, boil it and add to wort. Fermenting was done, but very quickly because i had very hot environment.

So...assuming the calculation was correct, i.e. that the amount of sugar was correct for your actual volume of beer to which the sugar was added (often different from the intended volume), and that fermentation was actually finished (did you confirm that the gravity was stable with a hydrometer?), that would leave...

- priming sugar not evenly mixed in the beer
- Wild yeast or bacteria contamination
- Hop creep (uncommon)

Could you give more details how could it be that priming sugar not evenly mixed in the beer? I boiled sugar, cooled and add to wort. I transfer wort to separate fermentor before bottling and volume was pretty accurate.

Could you give more details how could it be that priming sugar not evenly mixed in the beer? I boiled sugar, cooled and add to wort. I transfer wort to separate fermentor before bottling and volume was pretty accurate.

You're saying "wort," but I think you mean beer. "Wort" is prior to pitching yeast.

When you add the boiled sugar, you need to make sure it is evenly mixed throughout the beer. If it's not, some bottles will get too much sugar and some will get not enough sugar.

What is the best way to make sure that it mixed throughout? Usually i just pour it on top of beer in fermentor

What is the best way to make sure that it mixed throughout? Usually i just pour it on top of beer in fermentor

Stir thoroughly, but gently, Try to disturb the surface of the beer as little as possible, but mix thoroughly below the surface. Also, it will probably help if you put the boiled sugar in your bottling bucket before racking the beer into it.

I opened few more bottles, some of them was like 90%, some had small amount of bubbles. One was more or less ok, but but carbonation reminded me pepsi. Is it safer just to add sugar directly in the bottle?

Is it safer just to add sugar directly in the bottle?

You can do that, but it's really not very difficult to get the sugar solution and beer mixed properly.

Stir thoroughly, but gently, Try to disturb the surface of the beer as little as possible, but mix thoroughly below the surface. Also, it will probably help if you put the boiled sugar in your bottling bucket before racking the beer into it.
In the past, I put the priming syrup into the bottling bucket and then racked onto it with the end of the tube on the bottom, on a tangent with the bucket wall - no stirring. Never a problem with uneven carbonation. But I now stir gently after racking for the sake of safety. Bottom line for me: racking onto the priming syrup is key, and stirring is good for added safety.

Back