Beer Math Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mishi

Reaction score
I have read that a 5 gallon batch needs around 48 bottles give or take but also read online that a 15 1/2 gallon keg holds around 200 glasses. My question is is, if there are 15 1/2 gallons in the keg why would it make 200 glasses than 140-150 or so since 5 gallons make roughly 48 12 ounce beers?

i think 5 gallons makes roughly 48 although my first batch is still fermenting - i also think i remember seeing in my readings that its closer to 50 beers per 5 gallons.

i have no idea though

Because in a 5 gal batch you'll normally loose about 1/2 gal to trub. 4.5 gal = 576 oz / 12 = 48 12oz bottles.

Dunno where you heard the 200 glasses bit - 15.5 gal = 1984 oz / 200 = 9.9oz pours - pretty wimpy IMO.

I have gotten 48 to 55 beers per 5 gallon batch. It depends how compact the yeast cake is. Remember there is always stuff you leave behind.

Agree with a few others... I usually got around 50-54 bottles per batch.

And I've heard the rule of thumb that you get 165 beers out of a 1/2 barrel... not sure where the 200 comes from, but they must be using little glasses.

I appreciate all the good answers. I guess the glasses are smaller like 9 ounces from what I read so that makes much more sense.

I routinely get 51 12 OZ bottles out of a fermenter that on brew day was filled to the fermenter's 5 gallon line. Those "extra " 3 go into the fridge after 4 weeks conditioning to be my initial sampling stock.

It also depends on whose gallon you are using!5 Queen Elizabeth gallons will net you close to 60 bottles!John Wayne gallons usually net my around 50.It is much easier and accurate to use liters.If everyone wrote their recipes that way they would be much easier to scale.May of the UK recipes you read are in Imperial units!

Back