Beer Machine Powder Hard as a Brick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riteandritual

Reaction score
I bought a Beer Machine kit from the thrift store for 10 bucks. Looks like its been used once and sitting around ever since. I mostly just bought it for a convenient bottling bucket / apfelwein or mead fermenter, but I'd like to give it a try just once to see what its like.

Problem is the two beer powder packets it came with are hard as a rock. Is there a way to soften them up? Can they be used like that, or have they indeed 'gone bad'?

Is it worth the bother/risk?

I'm not familiar with the beer machine kit, but I'll assume the packets are some form of DME. If the kit requires you to bring everything to a boil, just steep the "powder" in a SS strainer and break up the clumps.

You may want to put it into the micro for a short time to see if that will help soften it like brown sugar.

You already paid for it so you may as well try to make something out of it.

I wouldn't expect great results.

Good luck,

Bull

Actually the instructions say to pour it in room temperature water, but I'll try the microwave idea. If that doesn't work, I'll try dissolving it in hot water like a regular DME.

Thanks guys!

Back