beer looks like grapefruit juice...is it normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
i made an IPA with RO water (added gypsum and calcium chloride) with Marris Otter malt (94%), a dash of rye (4%) and a pinch acid malt (2%) 4 oz Simcoe hops. Fermented for 10 days at 65° with US-05, kegged at 40 psi for 24 hrs and 20 psi for 20 hrs. It looks exactly like a glass of grapefruit juice...kinda tastes like it too (which is good) but this is my 51rst batch and I don't recall having any beers look like this. I've only used MO once before. I love the taste but the color is just unusual. Any thoughts?

I've made IPAs like that, and some of the best craft IPAs I've had are a hazy yellow/orange.

too much yeast in suspension? us05 can take a while to clear and you raked at 10 days

was this the first couple pints? or did you let the beer settle and clear during your cold crash in the keg, pour off the first couple pints, and then look at it?

i have probably only poured 16 oz out so far but it's still drastically different than anything i've seen before. Oh well, maybe it will clear maybe it won't, I was just wondering if this was a characteristic of MO or maybe the specialty malts.

I went to a friend's and helped bottle a NB Kiwi IPA... it had been in the primary maybe 5 or 6 weeks...looked just like grapefruit or pineapple juice... I just figured he threw a bunch of hop pellets in the primary...smelled great though and FG was way low at 1.006...so we bottled it. Looking forward to watching this thread.

Back