Beer Locker Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcs

Reaction score
I don't post here much, I frequent the site for info, but I wanted to share my current project I am working on. For the past year, I have been brewing smaller batches of beer (2-3 gallons). This has allowed me to increase the variety of beer I have on hand. I have been using an old fridge to store my bottles of beer, I also ferment in this fridge so space is becoming a problem. The solution I decided on was to build a "Beer Locker" or insulated cabinet to store my beer.

I started with a pine shelving unit I found at Home Depot. This was about 6 feet tall, a little taller than I needed. I cut this down and rearranged the shelves a bit. I ended up with a shelf about 37" high, 34" wide and 12" deep. I am able to fit 18 6 packs on this shelf.

IMG_0682.JPG

The next step was to insulate this shelf. After some research on the forums, I decided to use 1/2" extruded polystyrene. I figured if others were using this for fermentors, it should work great for my beer locker. I cut the material to fit, and glued it with Liquid Nails foam board glue. After the glue was dry, I calked all the seams with silicone calk.

IMG_0692.JPG

The back has 2 layers of foam board, to build it out, and the sides have 1.

IMG_0693.JPG

I had some casters I wasn't using, and bolted them to the bottom of the cabinet. I also glued in another piece of foam board for the bottom.

IMG_0759.JPG

I picked up some 1/4" plywood sheets that looked really good for pretty cheap. I used the liquid nails to glue the plywood to the foam board.

IMG_0762.JPG

While this was drying, I built up the front door. This was 2 layers of foam board like the back, topped with plywood. I attached some handles, these were a bit tricky. The 1/4" plywood wasn't strong enough and the foam board wouldn't add any support, as the door panel is a little heavy. I ended up making notches in one layer of the foam board and added a strip of plywood to help reinforce things.

IMG_0760.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

This pretty much catches me up for the weekend. I have some baseboard corner material I am going to glue on yet. I need to start painting the inside of the locker. I did a few test areas with white indoor latex paint. Coverage was poor, I may need to use primer or a couple of coats.

I also need to figure out how to attach the door panel. I was thinking about gluing in some magnets, not sure if they will hold the door or not. I wanted to use hinges, but the thin foam board and plywood doesn't give me much to screw into.

You may notice I haven't done anything to the top yet... I haven't decided what I want to do here. I may just do like the sides and back, foam topped off with plywood.

I plan on keeping this in the basement, its plenty cool in the summer and the insulation should help keep the temperatures consistent year round. My other thought was to find a small refrigeration unit, somehow install it and I could keep this upstairs. If it were refrigerated, I might make a counter top mini bar/serving area on top of the locker. Maybe someone has ideas on a refrigeration unit? Would frozen water bottles be enough to cool something this size?

Wow, I typed a lot more than originally planned. Thanks for reading. Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

How cold is your basement?

What is the point of the insulation if its not cooled/ heated? The beer will hold fairly steady temperatures, it has a lot of thermal mass.

How cold is your basement?

What is the point of the insulation if its not cooled/ heated? The beer will hold fairly steady temperatures, it has a lot of thermal mass.

Basement is around 60-65 in the summer, below 50 in the winter. I'm located in KY, think its the coolest basement we have ever had.

Ideally, I would like to somehow cool this thing and have it upstairs in my studio room. Since I have the body structure 90% done, I'm not quite sure how I will do this. Any suggestions?

Thanks

you could always take the condenser unit off of a cheap dorm fridge and mount it to the back. I have seen a few on this board built the same way and using one of the ebay temperature controllers. You could find a small dorm fridge cheap on cragslist and since this seems like its more for conditioning than chilling a small fridge wold work just fine.

I've been researching thermoelectric peltier units a bit today. I'm wondering if one of these could keep the inside temperatures between 50-60 degrees. I'm not knowledgeable on electronics and all that, I can't find a plain english explanation on the cooling abilities of these things.

I found a Coleman 16qt "Powerchill" that says it will cool 40 degrees below ambient temp.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=3000000540&categoryid=8570#.TpNYbnJWK71

It looks like the cooling unit is right in the lid. I'm thinking about buying one of these and copping off the lid to see what it can do.

Please see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/thermoelectric-peltier-fermentation-cabinet-build-240267/

I'm thinking about something similar. I picked up a Softside cooler bag (http://koolatrononline.stores.yahoo.net/koolatron-d25-soft-bag-cooler.html) off of Craigslist for $15. I ran it all night last night with two growlers of water and with 68°F ambient and it was at 40°F this morning. It drew 66W through a 12V Power Supply. It prob won't work for Lager's in the summer, it should work for everything in now. It will be very easy to take this apart.

Please keep me posted as to how you are proceeding. I'm also working on temp controller project similar to this and my plan was to use a light bulb or reptile pad for heating. Some of the mini-fridges can heat and cool, you just have to reverse the polarity. The bag I bought doesn't.

Back