Beer line to transfer and clean often in PBW and StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
I am looking for some good beer and co2 lines that can be cleaned often. I have some older lines and when I keep the soaked for a while they melt? or they develop a thick white goo on them.

I assume silicone lines dont do that, I need some recommendation and/or insight!

Thanks!

I use standard NSF-51 Bevlex PVC tubing, and have for many years. I haven't had any issues with "melting," but I also don't soak it in anything for extended periods. 15 minutes with BLC solution, followed by a water rinse, followed by 5 minutes with starsan solution, followed by beer.

Silicone would not be a good choice, as it's about the most oxygen permeable option.

I use standard NSF-51 Bevlex PVC tubing, and have for many years. I haven't had any issues with "melting," but I also don't soak it in anything for extended periods. 15 minutes with BLC solution, followed by a water rinse, followed by 5 minutes with starsan solution, followed by beer.

Silicone would not be a good choice, as it's about the most oxygen permeable option.
I use these lines for transfer not serving.

Very happy with EVAbarrier tubing, narrow diameter internal so you don't need miles of it. I clean with either warm PBW pumped through and then starsan or caustic line cleaner then water and starsan.
EDIT I wouldn't use silicone tube for beer transfer only hot wort etc.

I use silicone for hot liquids and evabarrier for everything else.

I also use onestep to clean because I think it is less corrosive to plastics than starsan (other will certainly disagree).

I also use onestep to clean because I think it is less corrosive to plastics than starsan (other will certainly disagree).

I'll just add here that Onestep is technically a cleaner (touted unofficially as a sanitizer, but not certified as one), and Starsan is a sanitizer (and definitely not a cleaner).

Back