Beer line taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulinuke

Reaction score
I remeber reading a thread about the off taste that beer line can sometimes impart in your beer. I have done quite a bit of searching and can't find that thread. The problem I am having isn't with my beer line but with my rootbeer line. The line is about 25 feet of 3/16 from Austin homebrew. I have cleaned it with everything, PBW, BLC, Oxyclean and sanitized with Starsan. I just can"t get rid of the rubber/plastic taste. I called Austin Homebrew about it and they said they hadn't heard any other complaints from anyone so it must be something I am doing wrong(I know this is not true). I need help. Paul

We seriously do not receive complaints about the beer line hose. It is an expensive line of hose from Foxx Equipment that specializes in beverage dispensing. The only variable I can think of is that it is rootbeer. Are you trying to use the hose for something other than rootbeer after you used it for rootbeer?

Rootbeer leaves a taste in hose that will not go away. I think it is the wintergreen. Same thing when you buy a used Barq's rootbeer corny keg. All of the orings need to be replaced.

The keg is being used for rootbeer. It is a rebuilt keg with all new o-rings. I previously used a much shorter line and would turn off the CO2 and vent the pressure before pouring. Using this method I didn't get any off flavors. I bought the longer line so that I could leave the pressure up all the time. I am at a loss as to what to do. Paul

Back