Beer line quick disconnect won't engage all the way..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
I was hooking up my second keg tonight and it was a bear to get on and the outer collar won't go down all the way. I forgot to order keg lube so I'm wondering if the O-ring needs to be lubed up or if its something else. Its pouring beer fine and I guess if it were to leak I would be able to tell because beer would leak out around the fitting not just CO2.

Usually they go right on and off easily. Are you putting the black disconnect on the "out" (beer) line and the gray disconnect on the "in" (gas) line? I assume you're talking about ball lock connects.

Just make sure it's actually the beer QD you're trying to put on there. The first time I connected everything I didn't even bother to read, just put it all together. I ended up putting the liquid (black) QD on the air and got it jammed on so bad I had to destroy it to get the bugger off. Probably not your issue, but just double check that grey=gas=in and black=beer=out. :mug:

Yup, I have the gas going to "in" and the beer line going to "out". The actual ball lock fittings on the keg are the same aren't they, the only difference is the dip tubes right?

Yup, I have the gas going to "in" and the beer line going to "out". The actual ball lock fittings on the keg are the same aren't they, the only difference is the dip tubes right?

No - and you will find out if you put it on the wrong one.

No - and you will find out if you put it on the wrong one.

Exactly. They are different. They look similiar but aren't the same. The gray disconnect only fits the gas post. If you accidently mixed them up, that could explain the problem. When I clean the kegs, I put the gas diptube, poppet, and post in one place together so I don't accidently mix parts.

Ok well that is better. I swapped out the ball locks after fighting to get the beer connect off the ball and they fit great. Hopefully I didn't damage the quick disconnects. They just looked so similar that I thought they were the same and dumped all the parts in a bowl when sanitizing. I can now see that one has a slightly different taper than the other.

I think the silicone plumbing lube you can get a THD or Lowe's is the same thing as keg lube.

I have tight gas and beer connectors all the time, a dab of lube does wonders. When I have six kegs in the fridge, it can be a real pain when the connectors stick. No room for any leverage.

Back