Beer line length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I built a keezer (pictured below) it hold 4 kegs on tap and one for carbing. My beer lines run through my bedroom wall to my taps in the kitchen. They are separated by 2 pieces of 1/2 drywall and a 2x4 the lines are insulated. My first few pours are foamy, I have about the 3 1/2 feet of line inside the keezer and 2 1/2 feet of insulated line outside and through the wall wall to the taps. Should I get longer lines to reduce foaminess? C02 is set to 6-7 psi.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485916419.728231.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485916439.362267.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485916521.632440.jpg

First, why so low CO2 pressure?

Ales are more typically dispensed at 10-12 psi depending on one's preference for beer temperature, with the primary goal of maintaining the desired carbonation level. Dispensing at 6-7 psi will eventually flatten the typical ale.

Reference our favorite carbonation table, find your desired serving temperature on the Y-axis, scan across that row to find your desired carbonation level (expressed in Volumes of CO2, where 2.4-2.5 is often used for ales) then run up that column to find the optimal CO2 pressure.

With that pressure value in hand, use the only beer line length calculator worth using, plug in that CO2 pressure and the particulars of your configuration, and out will pop the minimum line length needed to avoid foaming pours.

Note that Mike's calculator is tuned for solid PVC tubing, not the PET barrier stuff like Bev Seal Ultra 235. If you used that type you pretty much have to multiply Mike's solution by 1.5x...

Cheers!

Back