Beer line Cooler help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
This is the first time I've tried to attach photos so bare with me. If they load, here is my set up. A bow that is 3/4in insulated around everything has a 115v circulating air from the keezer to the box, to the beer lines, then back to the keezer. The trouble i have is the keezer keeps frosting the perimeter and the kegs and is getting very hot, but the temps coming from the box are only around 50dF. An improvement but my lines are getting frozen while still foaming a ****load. the fan is pretty powerful and everything should be insulated enough to keep it cool. It seems like the keezer is overworking to keep the ambient temps down to 33dF but i never seem to reach an equalibrium with my system. It has been running a week with no avail. Any advise would be appreciated.

IMG_20150319_204242004.jpg

IMG_20150319_204252131.jpg

Your keezer is getting hot because it is running too often. This wastes energy and kills your compressor faster.

1 - Where do you have your temp sensor placed? It sounds as if your temp sensor is in a smaller jar or something that is swinging too much. I had that same problem with mine when I started. Now I just take a 5/8" of a block of shipping foam and put tape over one side - then attach that sensor directly (read: one side tape - one side sensor in a small hole made with thumb on other side) to the bottom third of a filled keg. This should help the wild swings you are getting. If you don't want to use tape - go to lowes/home despot and buy a cheap rubber stretchy cord and wrap the foam around the keg and keep pressure on the foam.

2 - perhaps your keezer is pouring foam due to longer line length or improper line temps. check those lines for improper thermal envronment - maybe use double layer of hot water heater foam then put it in a pvc pipe?

2 - If I were you I would insulate the entire collar on the keezer - then run the lines through them. Any leakage could be causing the wild swings too. I notice that you have a gap in that area where the lines are running...

hope this helps!

“The trouble i have is the keezer keeps frosting the perimeter and the kegs and is getting very hot, but the temps coming from the box are only around 50dF.”

That’s the problem. It looks the box is 24 X 8 X 8 inches plus the dryer vent pipe and you have 3 to 4 cubic feet you’re trying to cool. What do you have in space between the box and the dry wall? Add your collar and you’re trying to cool more than the keezer can handle. To fix this I would replace the dryer vent pipe with 3 inch PVC. Then make the box smaller it looks like you have four kegs do you need a box that big? I would move the fan to the inside on the collar so you can get rid of that box. It looks like the plugs you put in the collar have holes in them I would caulk all seams and cracks to make it as air tight possible.

Latest posts

Back