Beer kit less than 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt89

Reaction score
Hey All,

My first post.

I'm looking to get a beer kit that can allow me to fool around with processes and recipes but not have to make a 5 gallon mistake. Maybe 1 gallon then from there i can increase the ingredients then move to 5 gallon when I'm comfortable with everything.

I'm having a hard time finding one on the net. Anyone know where I can get one? I'm looking for something like the 5 gallon kits as far as process and equipment goes, not something like Mr. Beer sells.

Thanks

I very much doubt you'll be able to find one. The best thing to do is to get some of the great beer software out there (promash, beersmith, beer tools pro, etc) and scale down any existing recipes you can find.

A recent BYO issue had an article and some recipes on making 6 pack batches as well, I can't remember which one but I'm sure you can dig it up on their site.

Edit: Welcome to HBT btw. :mug:

thanks and im glad to be here.

i just figured it made more sense to make small batches to get the taste you want, then just make the larger batches.

how do brewers that distribute create new beers? do they really make large batches? seems like a waste.

The reason most guys don't make small batches is that it's almost exactly the same amount of work and time as making a larger batch.

If you're worried about not being able to get a tasty beer, start with some tried and true recipes (the recipe database here is a great place to start). That way you get a feel for everything including how the ingredients work together for when you start creating your own recipes.

I'm not trying to talk you out of small batches (I've made a couple myself), just pointing out a few things. I would definitely recommend some brewing software though, it makes adjusting the batch size trivial.

ok i'll check out some of the software. so you think i should go for a 5 gallon kit and if I want just make smaller batches with the software?

and is there a kit that you recommend? i'm looking to spend under $200 to have a kit that I can grow with, not grow out of.

Yup I would, nothing you buy will become obsolete (you'll just add to your kit, not replace things). So it's all money well invested. And $200 will buy you pretty much whatever you want. My starter kit was only $85CDN. It's been expanded a ton as I got more and more into it but I still use my original bucket etc.

If you're looking to buy online, any of the major suppliers (austinhomebrew, midwest, northern brewer) all have excellent kits available. I'd personally recommend you stay clear of glass carboys and go with better bottles, but that alone may start another glass vs plastic thread (do a search and you'll see what I mean). :)

I would also suggest you just go ahead and make 5 gallon batches. Takes the same time and effort as a small batch and the absolute worst possible case scenario is that you dump 5 gallons instead of 1.

I agree with JadedDog. If you follow a tried and true recipe or a kit you'll most likely make really good beer. Do a few batches and get comfortable with the process. Once your get it down you'll feel pretty confident in making your own creations.

i already read the thread on better bottles, and an going to go that route. i used to be a bio major in college and had some pretty nasty glass accidents. so i already know i want to avoid that.

i'm just really excited and dont want to buy the wrong kit and regret it.

bradsul said:
A recent BYO issue had an article and some recipes on making 6 pack batches as well, I can't remember which one but I'm sure you can dig it up on their site.

I believe it was July 2007's issue...has a photo of a mug of beer wearing sunglasses on the beach. I have the issue at home (but I'm at work now).

I would recommend looking at simple recipes and just reduce the ingredients. Smaller kits exist, but mainly in the Asian markets. You could also try can 'add sugar' kits and reduce the water volume instead of adding sugar.

The BYO issue is July-August 2007, but there is only one 'small' recipe in it.

udt89 said:
how do brewers that distribute create new beers? do they really make large batches? seems like a waste.

For a large brewery, a 5 gallon batch would be a small batch for testing purposes.

Just so happens that I have said BYO here at work.

To convert any size recipe to any other size, follow the following example for all ingredients:

9.0 ounces of crystal malt (5 gallon recipe)

To convert to a 3 gallon recipe (or whatever), take the 9.0 ounces times the batch size YOU WANT and divide by the batch size in the RECIPE.

i.e. -----> 9.0 x 3 gallons / 5 gallons = 5.4 ounces of crystal malt.

That be it.

You may want to think about the amount of water you are boiling, since now you will more than likely be doing full boils as compared to partial, your hop and malt schedule might be a little different.

One more thing, a tube or smack pack of yeast is just the right size for small batches, so no starter required!

Latest posts

Back