Beer kit ingredients confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElezEspana

Reaction score
Hello.

I have completed 4 batches of beer now using different beer kits.

After watching a lot of youtube videos, I am now officially confused as to how to ease away from kits without diving straight in.

The kits contain liquid malt extract, yeast, and hops. But when I look online, even malt extract brewing contains some sort of boiling process. So how come you don't need to do this when using a kit?

I thought that choosing some nice hops, some yeast, and a decent liquid malt extract would be fine to just use with the same process as a kit and then start playing around from there, but when researching, it doesn't look like it's that simple.

Any advice on this would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

The kits contain liquid malt extract, yeast, and hops. But when I look online, even malt extract brewing contains some sort of boiling process. So how come you don't need to do this when using a kit?

It sounds like you have been using pre-hopped no-boil LME kits, which contains hops that have already been boiled to isomerize their alpha acids and make bitterness.

If you want to brew in a more traditional way, with hops that haven't already been through a boil, you'll need to add your hops to the wort and boil it.

There are other good reasons to boil, but this is a big one.

I want to get to the point where I am boiling, but wanted to try all this in small steps (for experience and cost). So was looking at just buying a kit, but all the parts individually, so I could play around with different extracts, yeasts and hops to learn how much they influence the brew.

Is it possible to get this pre hopped LME outside of a kit so I can teach myself those elements before having to jump into the deep end?

For info - this is the kind of kit I have been using.

Thanks

X2 to all that. I can say though that a little more work on brew day will yield much better results in there bottle. Your beers will have more flavor and complexity and you will have access to a much wider variety of styles and flavors too.

I want to get to the point where I am boiling, but wanted to try all this in small steps (for experience and cost). So was looking at just buying a kit, but all the parts individually, so I could play around with different extracts, yeasts and hops to learn how much they influence the brew.

Is it possible to get this pre hopped LME outside of a kit so I can teach myself those elements before having to jump into the deep end?

For info - this is the kind of kit I have been using.

Thanks
I've never looked for the pre hopped lme, but you probably can get it. But here's my 2 cents: Brewing, even all grain is really easy. If you can make a cup of hot tea, you can make beer. Because at the end of the day that's really all your doing is making a really big cup of hot barley tea. The boil process adds some time, but when I was doing extract with stepping kits, my brew day took about 3 hours start to finish. For me brewing is fun and a way to relax. I do all grain brewing now which usually takes about 6 hours for a batch, but it's time that I enjoy. Brewing should be fun. Don't sweat it, just do it and enjoy.

Cheers!

I've never looked for the pre hopped lme, but you probably can get it. But here's my 2 cents: Brewing, even all grain is really easy. If you can make a cup of hot tea, you can make beer. Because at the end of the day that's really all your doing is making a really big cup of hot barley tea. The boil process adds some time, but when I was doing extract with stepping kits, my brew day took about 3 hours start to finish. For me brewing is fun and a way to relax. I do all grain brewing now which usually takes about 6 hours for a batch, but it's time that I enjoy. Brewing should be fun. Don't sweat it, just do it and enjoy.

Cheers!

I really want to start all-grain brewing. But at the moment, I cannot afford all the extra kit to do that, so was just hoping to find way of expanding my knowledge and practicing whilst gathering all the extra things I need to start properly.

Look for "Muntons Hopped Light" if you want cans of pre-hopped extract. But I'm not sure what you'll learn using it. Also, definitely read "How to Brew" as previously suggested .

I really want to start all-grain brewing. But at the moment, I cannot afford all the extra kit to do that, so was just hoping to find way of expanding my knowledge and practicing whilst gathering all the extra things I need to start properly.

You might want to look into Brew In A Bag (BIAB). For some people, the only extra kit required will be a bag.

I really want to start all-grain brewing. But at the moment, I cannot afford all the extra kit to do that, so was just hoping to find way of expanding my knowledge and practicing whilst gathering all the extra things I need to start properly

BIAB is a low cost way to brew with "all-grain" ingredients. With five gallon batches, there are some "engineering" problems managing a hot, wet bag of grains, but at the 2.5 gal batch size, it generally isn't as big of a problem.

The cost of a kit will get you a good book. The cost of a 2nd kit will likely get you the additional equipment to BIAB in the 2.5 gal range on a stove.

Look for "Muntons Hopped Light" if you want cans of pre-hopped extract. But I'm not sure what you'll learn using it. Also, definitely read "How to Brew" as previously suggested .

You might want to look into Brew In A Bag (BIAB). For some people, the only extra kit required will be a bag.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking into BIAB, but don't you need a massive pot for that with a tap as well as a wort chiller?.

All I have is what I needed for a kit. I have 3 buckets. (one with a tap) and all the paddle, syphon tubing, hydrometer etc... But no actual cooking equipment.

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid. I am just new to this and have watched enough videos from different people to get confused.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking into BIAB, but don't you need a massive pot for that with a tap as well as a wort chiller?.

With 2.5 or 3 gallon batches, you don't need a very big kettle. And you don't need a "tap." Also, with small batches, you can get away with chilling with an ice water bath, i.e. no wort chiller.

But no actual cooking equipment.

You'd definitely need access to a stove or a propane burner.

You can brew with extract and steeping grains on your stove top with a 3 to 5 gallon pot that does not have a spigot. Doing smaller 2.5 to 3 gallon batches is also an option. That's what I do mostly now. I use the Brewer's edge may and boil all in one system, which is a great alternative, imo. But before I got it, I brewed many batches with a 3 gallon pot on my stove top.

I think you are doing it the right way, taking small steps. There's no need to jump into all grain brewing just yet -- and the beer won't necessarily taste any better. Don't convince yourself you can't make good beer without a lot of expensive equipment. Many of us started out with soup pot on the stove and a plastic bucket to ferment. A stove pot and a plastic bucket can make damn fine beer.

You don't need a "massive pot" to boil your LME or DME. You can simply make a concentrated wort using the largest size pot you have. You then simply top-up that finished wort with cold water in the fermenter (this also functions as a way to cool down your wort). This is exactly how I started.

As others have pointed out, adding hops and steeping grains doesn't require extra equipment or much more effort or skill than boiling the wort. To add hops: just throw them in as your wort is boiling. To steep grains: put them in a mesh bag or tea strainer and place them in the boil, then pull them out when the time is up. That's it. A small step from your previous 4 brews, well worth taking.

Good luck and have fun.

I think you are doing it the right way, taking small steps. There's no need to jump into all grain brewing just yet -- and the beer won't necessarily taste any better. Don't convince yourself you can't make good beer without a lot of expensive equipment. Many of us started out with soup pot on the stove and a plastic bucket to ferment. A stove pot and a plastic bucket can make damn fine beer.

You don't need a "massive pot" to boil your LME or DME. You can simply make a concentrated wort using the largest size pot you have. You then simply top-up that finished wort with cold water in the fermenter (this also functions as a way to cool down your wort). This is exactly how I started.

As others have pointed out, adding hops and steeping grains doesn't require extra equipment or much more effort or skill than boiling the wort. To add hops: just throw them in as your wort is boiling. To steep grains: put them in a mesh bag or tea strainer and place them in the boil, then pull them out when the time is up. That's it. A small step from your previous 4 brews, well worth taking.

Good luck and have fun.
We’ve been waiting for you.

@ElezEspana , this equipment kit is a great place to start if you want to take a step from "can kits'. Deluxe Home Brewing Kit | MoreBeer
It's a good place to start to your next step in homebrew, I don't get any $ for recommending this kit but it has about every thing you "need" to make a good batch of beer. The instructions are there and if you follow them your will end up with a very drinkable beer. It's about "fall down simple" and it will help you under stand the steps and ingredients involved.
Once you get your first batch going, start looking for your next one. I'd stick with a another box kit or so until your "system" works for you and good simple beer brewing results in very satisfying beverages.
A rabbit hole,,, yes,, but "KISS" to start. (Keep It Simple Stupid). LOL
For the most part people here are great for tips and help,, so go for it, somebody will answer your questions.
Best of luck,
Joel B.
:mug:
[edit] Oopps, I missed that you might have some of the stuff in that Kit,,, but still a good value if you are missing some of the things.

Last edited:
Back