Beer judge's comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasontheBeaver

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've entered several different beers and ciders into two different competitions now and there is a trend forming already.
All my scores are between 25-35 with no serious problems.
Here's what's starting to bother me, the comments from the judges. I get lots of comments like:
"pleasant and refreshing, very drinkable" but only get 6/10 score.
"good flavor" 13/20
"overall a very drinkable beer" 7/10
"good head retention" 2/3
"full mouthfeel, sweetness lingers throughout" 10/24:confused: (this was a cider)

My frustration is not that I'm placing low, it's in the total lack of useful feedback I'm getting.
Don't get me wrong, I understand that judges are in short supply and they are volunteering their time for the greater good of the hobby. But to put as much work into entering these beers only to come back with "good flavor" 13/20... WTH?

The nearest I can tell is that judges are looking for big beers, no matter what the category; not drinkable, session-type beers. Unfortunately, I like to make beers that many people like to drink.:tank:

I know I should be happy with making great beer, no matter what the judges think but it's nice to be recognized. With the feedback I'm getting I can't improve on my product.
Need some experienced brewers to set me straight on this topic.
Or... I should go volunteer for a couple competitions myself.

Are the ranks of the judges noted on the score sheets? I presume these were BJCP sanctioned competitions? Judges are supposed to include their e-mail on the judging form. Don't be hesitant to e-mail the judge directly asking for further discussion.

As a National judge I can absolutely say the feedback you are noting is not in compliance with the criteria for judging and evaluating beer. A good judge will pretty much fill the entire score sheet. You may not like what he/she has to say, but there should be constructive feedback that is actually usable on the forms.

I would certainly disagree that all judges are looking for big beers. Judges should be looking for the beer that best exemplifies the style in the category in which it is entered. Of the 23 categories of beer, the vast majority should not be "big."

I encourage you to keep entering, but look for competitions with strong judging pools and good reputations.

Are the ranks of the judges noted on the score sheets? I presume these were BJCP sanctioned competitions? Judges are supposed to include their e-mail on the judging form. Don't be hesitant to e-mail the judge directly asking for further discussion.

As a National judge I can absolutely say the feedback you are noting is not in compliance with the criteria for judging and evaluating beer. A good judge will pretty much fill the entire score sheet. You may not like what he/she has to say, but there should be constructive feedback that is actually usable on the forms.

I would certainly disagree that all judges are looking for big beers. Judges should be looking for the beer that best exemplifies the style in the category in which it is entered. Of the 23 categories of beer, the vast majority should not be "big."

I encourage you to keep entering, but look for competitions with strong judging pools and good reputations.

I have always thought that there would be a market for quality beer judging. By that I mean I would pay a BJCP judge ranked National or higher to give me feedback on my beer. I don't care about winning a medal/ribbon. I want good, objective feedback. Why waste money and beer entering a contest with poor judging? I would rather send 1 bottle away and say seven dollars to an experienced BJCP judge and get great feedback. It would seem like a great little side business for judges. Does anybody know if something like this exists?

At least you got your feedback from the judges. The 2 I've entered recently said they had too many entries and not enough time to write proper feedback so they weren't going to return it.

Shameless plug time. I built a site: http://brewshuffle.com that lets beer lovers try and review home brew. I'm trying to build the community and hopefully if it takes off home brewers can get better feedback on their brew without having to submit or wait for a competition. My hopes is to eventually give BJCP certified users on brewshuffle a badge of sorts that shows home brewers who they are.

At least you got your feedback from the judges. The 2 I've entered recently said they had too many entries and not enough time to write proper feedback so they weren't going to return it.
Shameless plug time. I built a site: http://brewshuffle.com that lets beer lovers try and review home brew. I'm trying to build the community and hopefully if it takes off home brewers can get better feedback on their brew without having to submit or wait for a competition. My hopes is to eventually give BJCP certified users on brewshuffle a badge of sorts that shows home brewers who they are.

Taking a look at the site.. but it was REALLLLLLLY slow to load.

Taking a look at the site.. but it was REALLLLLLLY slow to load.
Sorry, it is something I'm working on, a new piece of script I was messing around with is causing the first load to take a bit. After the initial load it should be a bit faster. I have a few changes that should speed it up I need to push live but have been waiting for a good time.

Latest posts

Back