Beer isn't carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagnwag99

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing so this may normal but I'm like a parent worrying about their child. I brewed a Black IPA. It's OG was 1.078 (I forget what the FG was but I know it was around 8% abv) and it was bottled in 12 oz bottles 2 weeks ago. I primed each bottle with 3/4 tspn of cane sugar. I popped one open today and there was no carbonation. What should I do??
Thanks to all that respond. I appreciate the help.

The sugar may well have been sitting on the bottom. Using a bottling bucket & bulk priming is a better solution. Swirl the bottles a bit to get everything back in suspension & give them a couple weeks.

3 weeks at 70F would be ideal.

As already pointed out, bulk priming is a much more reliable and accurate means of priming for bottles

Read Revvy's stickie at the top of the bottling forum:D

The sugar may well have been sitting on the bottom. Using a bottling bucket & bulk priming is a better solution. Swirl the bottles a bit to get everything back in suspension & give them a couple weeks.

I agree, maybe everything sunk to the bottom.

At what temperature have your bottles been conditioning? Two weeks is not enough, but you should have some carbonation present by now.

Did you transfer your beer to a bottling bucket, or bottle right from the primary?

Back