Beer isnt carbonated but has a head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earl_Grey

Reaction score
I recently got into kegging and have a 3 tap system right now. Anyway here is my system.

CO2 tank->keg->10ft accuflex bev-seal ultra 3/16 tubing -> perlick 650ss faucets.

The keezer the kegs are in is currently set to 38-39 deg and the CO2 pressure is set to 8psi for serving after being at 12psi for a week.

The line does go through a tower thats not as cold as the keezer so its all foam at first but thats dumped for now until i get a air movement solution going in there.

The kegs were at 8psi for a week at 38 and it wasnt carbonating like I wanted so I bumped it to 12psi and was getting alot of foam so I cut back to 8psi for serving.

To throw in another variable the 650ss can adjust the flow rate.

I am not sure what to try next or what the problem is in my system to be causing this issue.

Any suggestions?

I always do the slow and steady carb method, and my carbonation system and dispensing system are both set up to support the same CO2 pressure and temperature, 11psi @ 36°F.

It takes a few days more than two weeks for a full keg of typical FG to be good, another few days to be excellent.

So, I'd say you need to give your beer more time.

I also think you might want to get longer lines. The liner inside that Bev Seal Ultra 235 stuff is slicker than puppy poop - most folks have reported needing 50% longer lines than straight PVC tubing (ala Bevlex 200) to manage the same dispensing pressure. And for 11psi I'm running 12 foot Bevlex 200 lines.

Ideally, you want your dispensing system to handle the CO2 pressure needed to maintain the perfect carbonation level. If you have to drop the dispensing pressure, that's a problem, and a waste of gas...

Cheers!

FWIW, I have a similar setup with a mix of 630's and 650's, 7 ft Ultra lines and usually 40F - 41F, 11 - 12 psi, 2 tap kegerator and 4 tap keezer. I occasionally have first pour foam issues, but nothing like a full glass of foam. Pretty well behaved otherwise...

I always do the slow and steady carb method, and my carbonation system and dispensing system are both set up to support the same CO2 pressure and temperature, 11psi @ 36°F.

It takes a few days more than two weeks for a full keg of typical FG to be good, another few days to be excellent.

So, I'd say you need to give your beer more time.

I also think you might want to get longer lines. The liner inside that Bev Seal Ultra 235 stuff is slicker than puppy poop - most folks have reported needing 50% longer lines than straight PVC tubing (ala Bevlex 200) to manage the same dispensing pressure. And for 11psi I'm running 12 foot Bevlex 200 lines.

Ideally, you want your dispensing system to handle the CO2 pressure needed to maintain the perfect carbonation level. If you have to drop the dispensing pressure, that's a problem, and a waste of gas...

Cheers!

Would the flow control on the faucets act as longer lines? I mean if I dial the flow rate to be really low I still do not get carbonation in the beer. That was the reason I got the flow control faucets so I wouldnt have to worry about the line lengths.

Ah, shoot, I missed the 650SS part.
I have zero experience with flow-control Perls but from what I've read they should be able to compensate for the line length.

Still, the beer is likely undercarbed, and combined with perhaps a less than well tuned dispensing system, what carbonation there is is being lost to foam...

Cheers!

FWIW, I have a similar setup with a mix of 630's and 650's, 7 ft Ultra lines and usually 40F - 41F, 11 - 12 psi, 2 tap kegerator and 4 tap keezer. I occasionally have first pour foam issues, but nothing like a full glass of foam. Pretty well behaved otherwise...

On the 650s, after the first pour issues what kind of flow rate do you use? No matter the flow rate I use I do not get carbonation in the beer, just some foam on top.

:confused:

The flow rate on the 650's doesn't really matter relative to the overall carbonation of your beer. Give it another week and then wait one more, it'll be perfect...

I got the 650's mainly to make it easier to fill growlers without having to adjust the serving pressure while still minimizing foam. For serving single pints at "normal" carb levels (~2 -2.5 vols.) I generally leave them wide open. I have a Saison carbed to 3 vols. and I cut the flow a bit for that one to minimize foam.

However, based on the info you provided in the first post, your beer simply isn't fully carbonated yet and adjusting the flow rate is not going to help that, time will...

Back