Beer is watery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maffewl

Reaction score
Hey guys... if you could help, you rock.

I have six kegs going... all on the set it and forget it method and some have been in there for at least two months. Everything is set for the correct temp and pressure to get 2.4 volumes.

However, all of the beers pour out with a solid head and all that... but it tastes watery, as if its lacking being carbed, or just very lightly carbed tasting. I dont have a clue what my problem is. I use picnic taps and all my lines are around 5 feet long.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Were the lines left plugged in at 12 psi or just carbed up and unplugged?

Both the liquid and gas lines are connected. I usually leave the liquid lines off for two weeks or so while the beer carbs, but once ready, I leave both lines attached.

Were the kegs refrigerated the whole time or room temp the whole time?

The first thing I suspect is the the beer lines are too short.

What happens is a shorter line (under about 8') is supposed to be fine according to calculations. But in my experience, a shorter line "knocks out" the co2 on the way through the line so you get a foamy head but flat-ish beer.

I'm guessing that your lines are more like 4-6 feet.

I went through this- started with 5' lines. Then, I went to 6' lines. Finally I just went with 10' lines and got perfect pours every time.

(I'm talking about 3/16" ID line. For 1/4" line, the lines must be much longer).

The first thing I suspect is the the beer lines are too short.

What happens is a shorter line (under about 8') is supposed to be fine according to calculations. But in my experience, a shorter line "knocks out" the co2 on the way through the line so you get a foamy head but flat-ish beer.

I'm guessing that your lines are more like 4-6 feet.

I went through this- started with 5' lines. Then, I went to 6' lines. Finally I just went with 10' lines and got perfect pours every time.

(I'm talking about 3/16" ID line. For 1/4" line, the lines must be much longer).

The only way to find out is to pour a sample from a keg, and then take a wine thief sample from the same keg and do a side by side comparison.

Wow... 60' of line in the keezer will be quite a bit.

I'm not sure if I have 1/4" or 3/16" line, I'm thinking 1/4", but I believe I have at least 10' laying around and a couple disconnects. I'll do a side by side comparison with the longer line and the line I have been using to see if there is a difference.

Will report back soon.

they should still be carbed even with a short line. Are you sure your CO2 manifold is working/on?

They are carbed, but the short line knocks CO2 out of solution due to a fast pour. A longer line adds resistance for a good pour, or if you can insert something (like a mcmaster's epoxy nozzle stick) into the line/diptube you can fix the pour rate.

I have short lines and inserts in my dip tubes.

(like mcmaster's epoxy nozzle stick) into the line/diptube you can fix the pour rate.

I have short lines and inserts in my dip tubes.

I am unfamiliar with these... what are they? I tried googling it but didn't find anything. Also, with these... is a 5'-0" line ok or does it need to be longer/shorter?

$30-$40 for 60' of line to get perfect pours is worth it IMO. When/If you move to taps, the line is reusable. Why not get it setup and then you'll never be worried about it again? To me, it was a small price to pay to have perfect pours each and every time. You need the correct resistance to stop the co2 from knocking out of solution. Only solution (no pun intended), add resistance via longer lines or one of those line inserts, or turn down serving pressure.

Back