Beer is Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
Damn just had three of my Sierra Nevada clones and im pretty buzzed:) i noticed that half of my bottles lids are popped out pretty far ( more carbed) than the other half. I guess my priming sugar didn't get mixed exceptionally well? Anyways the beer is good even if you have to wait for the head to subside. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399687424.683938.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Looks good. Which recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What I usually do is leave the auto-siphon in the bottling bucket as I go and give it a (gentle) stir after every 12-pack or so to keep everything mixed up. Don't stir too hard as you don't want to aerate the beer at that point.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399689289.531452.jpg
This is whats been happening when i open one.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399689340.976433.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399689358.374643.jpg
And this is the difference I'm talking about. Notice the caps

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399689635.650665.jpg
Beer and riding! Go hand and hand. Anyway my beer is good (to me) just concerned on the unequal bottles.

Just hope for no bottle bombs. They are a b****. Can really ruin your day or sleep. I'd get them all cold if you can by putting them in a rfridge or colder room. Never had one bust there. If you cant get them cold, cover them-just in case.

I always boiled a little water and the sugar then allow it to swirl as I am siphoning into the bottling bucket. Well I did until I started keg.

Thoughts:
Those caps look dented inwards which happens with the capper as it pushes inward.
I have never seen a cap bulge outward.

How much priming sugar did you use for what size batch?

Put those beers in the fridge for a week to get that CO2 dissolved into the beer and those mini gushers will likely go away.

Thanks i did just that, put em in the fridge. Only half my batch turned out this way. The recipe i used called for 1 1/4 cups of extra light DME boiled in 2 cups of water for a 5 gallon batch.

I have had mixed gushers-non gushers in the same batch as well. I didn't get the priming sugar mixed in well enough.

The recipe i used called for 1 1/4 cups of extra light DME boiled in 2 cups of water for a 5 gallon batch.

A much safer and more accurate way to measure is by WEIGHT and not volume.

3/4 oz to 1 oz of DME per gallon of finished beer is a safe bet.

Back