Beer ingredient may fight prostate cancer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on xanthohumol in hops, eh? *gears turning*

Okay, so for example, one bud light has approximately 12 IBUs according to some sources. My Pliny The Bastid clone has 264 IBUs.

Just using the BL as a basis of the 17 beers needed to have an effect, I could essentially drink ONE Pliny and still be taking in excess xanthohumol!!!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!

Is my math correct?

12 * 17 = 204 IBUs
1 pliny = 264 IBUs

Dude said:
Based on xanthohumol in hops, eh? *gears turning*

Okay, so for example, one bud light has approximately 12 IBUs according to some sources. My Pliny The Bastid clone has 264 IBUs.

Just using the BL as a basis of the 17 beers needed to have an effect, I could essentially drink ONE Pliny and still be taking in excess xanthohumol!!!
If I could get my Dr. to write the prescription and my insurance to pay for it...:tank:

I don't necessarily see the direct correlation between xanthanol (which has something do with something yellow, right? I guess it comes from the oil capsules on the hop) and IBU's- can someone get a hold of that Oregon study? I'll look for it a little later.

P funky said:
I don't necessarily see the direct correlation between xanthanol (which has something do with something yellow, right? I guess it comes from the oil capsules on the hop) and IBU's- can someone get a hold of that Oregon study? I'll look for it a little later.

I just used it as a general basis for a comparison. I know that the amount of hops (and other factors as well) is definitely more of a correlation, I was just being goofy.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/newsarch/2006/May06/beer.html Original press release
Can't get at the article, as Journal: Cancer Letters restricts access.

And how about them chickens?

Hops & Organic Chickens
Northwest Crop Could Replace Poultry Antibiotics

YAKIMA, Wash. -- Hops give beer flavor. They also inhibit unwanted bacteria growth.
Now, researchers say they may do the same in chickens.

HopsUniversity of Arkansas researchers have found that hops show promise as a stand-in for antibiotics to promote poultry growth.

The demand for more natural chickens has grown dramatically in the past couple of years. So has the demand for cage-free chickens and eggs from cage-free chickens.

Most commercial chickens are kept in tiny cages until they reach nearly full size, then they're slaughtered for food. Egg-layers are also kept in cages, and often filled with hormones and antibiotics to increase production and prevent disease.

Now, the researchers say hops may be an organic replacement for those antibiotics, especially in broiler checks.

The Arkansas researchers workd with a hops chemists and growers in Eastern Washington state.

Their research indicates that adding ground hops to feed can boost growth without antibiotics. Organic chicken farmers are already expressing interest, as are hops growers. Hops are a major commercial crop in Oregon's Willamette Valley.

Worried that all that beer might harm your liver? Better wash it down with a cuppa.

What a great day...my fave drinks are good for me. Now I just need a report telling my wife that cigars, joints and threesomes will help me lose weight and gain hair (on my head).

Cheesefood said:
What a great day...my fave drinks are good for me. Now I just need a report telling my wife that cigars, joints and threesomes will help me lose weight

Funny, I tried that one but had lousy results

Back