beer in the ice box...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
quick one if ya'll don't mind?
i wanted to try a recent beer i did. it's been bottled for 2 weeks now. well i put one in the ice box and cooled it down for about 5 hours while i went to work. my normal schedule..... when i got home i i popped it open, no head retention flat tasting and yeasty. ??? well i then said what the @#$%!!! and popped open one that was at room temp. and it had 3 inches of head and tasted great, but it was hot..... why would the refrigerator affect a beer that is already carbonized....? thanks

The colder a beer is allows it to better retain its CO2. If you want to chill the bottle in the freezer, make sure you dont chill it too much. The beer needs to be warm enough to allow some of the CO2 to escape and give you a nice head.

quick one if ya'll don't mind?
i wanted to try a recent beer i did. it's been bottled for 2 weeks now. well i put one in the ice box and cooled it down for about 5 hours while i went to work. my normal schedule..... when i got home i i popped it open, no head retention flat tasting and yeasty. ??? well i then said what the @#$%!!! and popped open one that was at room temp. and it had 3 inches of head and tasted great, but it was hot..... why would the refrigerator affect a beer that is already carbonized....? thanks
It was probably yeasty from getting moved around and stirred up the yeast sediment.
It was flat when cold because it isnt fully carbed. Like Arneba said cold beer absorbs more CO2 at colder temps. It was fizzy warmer because the CO2 was escaping the warmer liquid faster. You said its been 2 weeks. Should be cabred by then. How much sugar did you use? What was your procedure?

2.6 oz of corn sugar. did the usual, auto syphoned beer over on top priming solution. gave it a soft swirl clockwise, let it sit for 10 min and bottled. everything was sanitized.

2.6 oz of corn sugar. did the usual, auto syphoned beer over on top priming solution. gave it a soft swirl clockwise, let it sit for 10 min and bottled. everything was sanitized.
For a 5 gallon batch 4oz or about 3/4cup corn sugar is recommended for priming. Thats the source of the lack of carbonation.

For that beer type the caculator I use says
Sugar________Type___________Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 2.7 oz
Sucrose (table sugar)__________2.5 oz

I think it was the clockwise swirl. For a Stout you should go counter-clockwise. :D

It sounds like you may have had one bottle that was done and one that was not. Once you bottle, you no longer have one batch, acting uniformly. Rather, you have 40-50 tiny batches that are doing their own thing. Each bottle has a different amount of beer and different amount of yeast. The differences may not be much, or they may be a lot. It really does not make a whole lot of difference, though, since the proper amount of time will even everything out.

The first one may have been flat and yeasty because the yeast was still in suspension, fermenting away, when you cut the party short by sticking it in the fridge. The party may have ended in the other bottle. Truly, after only two weeks, I would not expect anything good out of any of the bottles. You probably had a bit of good luck that you had a nice beer in that second one. You really do need to wait at least three weeks to get proper carbonation in bottles.

TL

ha ha ha ha ha..... LOL ! ohhh ok ! but really thanks Tex ! i went ahead and cooled another right, and opened it. same issue.... and then opened one that was room temp. and it really acted like beer and tasted right. i think i will agree that it needs a little more conditioning, but like a few other gents said, when the beer is warm all the carbonation is trying to escape.... thanks to all, even the wiseguys !!!!!

Back