Beer in Screw-Top Wine Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are not designed to hold carbonation and probably won't.

You could probably use them as growlers to fill with already carbed beer off a tap and drink within 1-2 days.

But don't try to carb beer in bottles that aren't designed for it/to withstand the pressure (the results may be dangerous). But my guess is carbonation will slowly leak out the screw tops.

The screw tops will hold the carbonation. The bottles probably will not unless they were from sparkling wine. If you hate the bottles and the beer you could try it but put the bottles into a waterproof tub with a good lid and put weight on the lid to contain the glass shards in case the bottles explode (which they probably will).

Screw tops just aren't natural. Beer deserves a proper crown cap!

But if you prefer them and it's easier for you or just seems the better way, then I'm okay with it as long as you don't serve me a murky beer with yeast in it and tell me that's just haze!

Yeah, I have done that in the past too with success, but trying to get away from plastic bottles (and the temptation to open a 2L bottle which has needs to be consumed in one sitting! LOL)
Yes I did it for the purpose of serving many at one time. I have also used twist top 12 oz bottles w/o problems

Back