Beer in keg smells like Iodophor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman63

Reaction score
I have been brewing for 15+ years and legging for about 8. I have always used Iodophor to sanitize my kegs. Typically I put 1 oz of Iodophor and 5 gallons of water, let it sit for a couple minutes then pour it out and let the keg sit upside down for about 20 minutes before I transfer the beer. I don't recall ever having a problem with this method of cleaning and sanitizing. My last batch I did the same thing. I tried the beer a week later and noticed it had a strange odor/taste. I contributed it to the recipe I used (actually I didn't use a recipe, I winged it). The style is an old ale. I figured I'd let it sit for another week and see if anything changed. This time when I smelled it first thought I smelled Iodophor. When I tasted it I could detect Iodophor. I switched lines to see if it was the beer line. The same thing happened with the second beer line. I connected another beer I made previously to the first line and it tasted and smelled fine. That leads me to believe it must be the keg. The only thing I can think of is somehow enough Iodophor was left over in the keg to affect the beer. Has anyone else had something like this happen? Is my sanitizing method okay? This is the first time this has happened but now I'm worried it might happen again.

Thanks.

I don't use Iodophor, but I do use SaniClean and StarSan. Never have I had a problem that I could taste or smell in my beer.

I use Iodophor for my kegs as well and have never had this problem. However, you are mixing you solution twice as strong as I do. I use 1/2 oz (full cap full) per 5 gallons which is a 12.5 ppm solution. You really don't need it to be any stronger than that. I am also very meticulous about getting all the residual sanitizer out. Just setting the keg upside down will not drain it completely. Liquid still gets trapped around the mouth of the keg. I have to tilt mine back and forth while the keg is inverted to get all the liquid out. Try using a weaker solution and make sure you get as much of the residual sanitizer out as you can.

I store my cornies using 3 teaspoons of Iodophor in a full five gallons, when I keg I have the cornies upside down for a good half hour then jiggle out whatever is left. I've never noted a residual iodine note...

Cheers!

Why would you fill it with 5 gallons of water and use all that Iodophor? Doesn't Iodophor work just as effectively on the surface for 2 minutes as it does for 2 weeks?

Unless someone can tell me otherwise (im a kegging noob, and have only been brewing for 9 months, so I could be wrong), I think when I pour a 1/2 gallon solution of Iodophor (1/2 tsp) into a keg and shake it for a few minutes, then evacuate it with gas, it is no less effective than filling a keg with 5 gallons of water and a ****-ton of Iodophor.

The short answer is I'm insanely OC about sanitation, I like having my kegs ready to rock, and I bought a gallon for $18 from an agricultural supply store (instead of the $$$ tiny bottles from my LHBS) so I can afford to be OC...

Cheers!

I have seen iodophor test strips at one or two places. I don't know how they'd react to a beer solution with iodophor but maybe you could test to see if it is that or maybe your glass or something. Using sanitizer in wrong solutions can change their effectiveness. Also not all iodophor is sold at the same concentration do test strips would help with different sources of iodophor. My lhbs sells iodophor recommended to mix at 1/2 tsp per gallon which is just under 1/2 ounce per 5.

It's probably true that I use too much Iodophor when sanitizing my kegs. Since this happened I've been doing research on cleaning and sanitizing kegs and found that the typical method seems to be to fill 1/3 to 1/2 with water and the appropriate amount of Iodophor and shake it around so it comes in contact with all surfaces. I really can't say why I've been filling my kegs completely. I've never had a problem before (that I'm aware of) with sanitizing that way but I am going to try the "shake" method.

As for if it's really the Iodophor causing the problem, I have tried it in quite a few glasses to be certain. I kind of like the test strip suggestion to see if there is a higher concentration present. Then I would definitely know where the off-flavor is coming from but the bottom line is the beer really isn't drinkable so regardless it's going down the drain :(

re: iodine test strips, I rather doubt they could be anywhere near sensitive enough to beat the human olefactory system, which can detect some compounds in the parts-per-billion range.

In any case, the "partially-filled shake" may work just fine, but one would have to take care to assure the inside of the dip tubes are adequately sanitized along the way. That's easily done with a filled-to-the-brim keg by depressing the poppets. Probably more challenging with only a half gallon of sanitizer...

Cheers!

I agree with day tripper, it's much easier to sanitize dip tubes and the keg in general by filling to the brim. Besides, you only need a 1/2 oz Iodophor per 5 gallons. Using it at this rate, a big bottle lasts a couple years and that's if you're brewing a LOT. So it's really a cheaper alternative to Star San and you don't have to shake the keg.

Back