Beer in keg seems flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So on sunday I force carbed my beer and it seemed like a pretty good carbonation level that day, went back today ( wensday night) went to try it and it seems flatter? Its been hooked up to my keggerator with my regulator set to about 5 psi since then

5psi is pretty low if your beer is in the 40F range. If you were pouring from it the head space is refilled at 5psi and the carb level will equalize over time. As a side not most of my kegs will not even hold a seal at 5psi.

https://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart/
Oh, btw the beer was quick carbed, via the shake method using 30 psi for 2 -3 mins. The beer was fully carbed then left at 5psi to serve, after a few days left at serving pressure (5 psi) it seemed flat

what is your serving temp and type of beer, do you know what volume of CO2 you are shooting for?

If your temp is not close to freezing 5psi will give you a carb level under 2 volumes which could seem a little flat for some beers. It does not matter what level you first carbed to it will equalize to the current psi and temp amount if you keep pouring beer.

what is your serving temp and type of beer, do you know what volume of CO2 you are shooting for?

If your temp is not close to freezing 5psi will give you a carb level under 2 volumes which could seem a little flat for some beers. It does not matter what level you first carbed to it will equalize to the current psi and temp amount if you keep pouring beer.
I'm not exactly sure the temp at the moment, im guessing around 40 ish? Its in a commercial keggerator at almost the coldest setting. Its a octoberfeast beer, i turned the gas up to 10 psi but got all foam. So if it equalized what do you recommend going forward? I basically just wanna keep my keg in there and have it ready to just be served whenever with as little headache as possible

I'm also trying to have some buddies over tommrow to try this beer since it seemed done when I had initially tried it so if you have any recommendation on what to do over night that be really awesome

2.5volumes works for a lot of beer styles, so that is what I would set it at. Put a thermometer inside the kegerator to figure out the temp then pick the pressure accordingly from that table.

If 10psi gives a lot of foam, maybe your line is too short. How long is the beer line? For 10psi you need like 10 or 12ft to get a decent pour. Search balanced beer lines and there should be a calculator to help you out.

For the short term solution for your buddies, I would leave it at 10psi then tomorrow when your friend come by drop the pressure to 5psi and vent the headspace of your keg and just serve at 5psi for the night. The carb level will not drop that fast.

Long term get your line balanced and just put it on 10 or 12psi and you should be good.

Serving pressure needs to be 12 - 14 PSI depending on your setup and the type of beer you are serving. Your serving line length should be a minimum of 10 FT of 3/16" ID tubing. Start with longer that you think you need. You can trim the tubing. You can't make it longer. You can adjust both the pressure and line length to serve your needs. Don't try to adjust both at the same time. Either adjust the pressure and test or trim the tubing and test.

10 FT of 3/16" ID serving line works for me with a pressure of 13.5. Regulators can be off. You'll need to find what works for you.

What tap of taps do you have? There is a huge difference between my perlick taps and when I use a picnic tap at a party. Picnic tap is way too foamy at 2.7 volumes and 10psi serving. I carb to 2.7 volumes usually with 10psi at 38 degrees after a cold crash. I hook up the CO2 to run through the liquid out post, make sure you use a liquid disconnect for that. I can force it over 45 minutes or so but it’s usually better over 2-3 days to give it time to settle out. Then I serve at 38 degrees at 10 psi and it’s perfect in my perlicks. Most likely you are under carbed and improperly balanced. With how mine is designed I can get away with 5’ lines at 10 psi but that is kind of the exception from what I gathered. Most guys run 10-15’ of line. There is a really good calculator from some PHD that super nerded on it and made it easy but it works great, bet someone can find it if it hasn’t been posted already.

Kegging is the only way to do it

2.5volumes works for a lot of beer styles, so that is what I would set it at. Put a thermometer inside the kegerator to figure out the temp then pick the pressure accordingly from that table.

If 10psi gives a lot of foam, maybe your line is too short. How long is the beer line? For 10psi you need like 10 or 12ft to get a decent pour. Search balanced beer lines and there should be a calculator to help you out.

For the short term solution for your buddies, I would leave it at 10psi then tomorrow when your friend come by drop the pressure to 5psi and vent the headspace of your keg and just serve at 5psi for the night. The carb level will not drop that fast.

Long term get your line balanced and just put it on 10 or 12psi and you should be good.

I also find it helpful to keep the level of the beer line above the keg. I do this by coiling the 12’ of tubing zip tie the tube to keep the coil and place on top of the keg. Before I started coiling, I got excessive foam, not so much after

Back