beer in gas line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
Rookie mistake. I tilted the keg on its side (with the gas side down) and a little bit of beer backed up into the line. I had the pressure at 12psi and assumed that would keep the beer from backing up, but apparently not. I've heard that this could lead to souring. How many of you have had this happen and should I be concerned?

Remove the gas line and sanitize the parts. Reconnect gas. When u finish the keg, take it apart, clean, and sanitize. This keg will be fine, if you don't clean the connections on the keg you could get sour beer down the road.

Not sure how it could lead to souring since its in a CO2 environment. You don't want the beer in your regulator though. If its just in the line, disconnect it and soak the line in some Oxyclean. Once its clean, sanitize it and replace. No biggie.

Update: I cleaned out and sanitized the gas line, as was suggested and when i plugged in the clean gas line it immediately gurgled and filled with beer again. Then i realized I plugged the line into the wrong side (beer line side).

So I had to take apart the line... again... and re-clean/sanitize.

This happened to me with my first keg 3-4 months back... after a good clean and purge no issues so far.

I've heard putting a check valve in the line will prevent that from happening. Is that a Home Depot, Lowe's, specialty plumbing shop, or HBS item?

Latest posts

Back