Beer in CO2 line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
Got some beer in my gas line for the first time yesterday. I kegged a gose and had it on 30 psi while rolling it to force carb (per my usual practice). I think I got too aggressive rolling it, plus I may have slightly overfilled the keg.

Anyway, don't think it backed up all the way to the regulator. But I replaced that gas line and took apart the ball lock QD to let that dry. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks.

Whatever damage is already done and it sounds like you did plenty to control it, but to prevent it in the future I would install a backflow device, elevate the CO2 line while the keg is tipped, and clear the line after carbing by pressing the little valve on the inside of the connector.

Whatever damage is already done and it sounds like you did plenty to control it, but to prevent it in the future I would install a backflow device, elevate the CO2 line while the keg is tipped, and clear the line after carbing by pressing the little valve on the inside of the connector.
Thanks. I wasn't even aware of back flow fittings for gas lines. Is this similar to a check valve I used on my air stones in hydroponics?

Thanks. I wasn't even aware of back flow fittings for gas lines. Is this similar to a check valve I used on my air stones in hydroponics?

One and the same.

2-Pcs-Stainless-Steel-CO2-Check-valve-One-Way-valve-for-Aquarium-CO2-Diffuser-and-Air.jpg

Or you can always go with the shut-off/check valve.

mfl__77953.jpg

I like this one (its not actually green its transparent, which is kinda why i like it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Inline-Chec...767259?hash=item210a2ee91b:g:H4wAAOSwe7BWwj5Z

Though at $10 im not putting them on every keg i just use it for my additional gas line that i use for carbonating things with my carb cap (which i learned from experience after i had soda back up into my gas filter, luckily it stopped there and didnt make it to the regulator. Or i can just screw it on a keg that i want to shake around, but i dont usually do that.

Question though...how do check valves actually work? Can liquid actually get into the check valve/destroy it and necessitate replacing the check valve?

Question though...how do check valves actually work? Can liquid actually get into the check valve/destroy it and necessitate replacing the check valve?
I was under the impression that's how they work. Well, at least in water with my air pumps. I think the ones I used to use on my air pumps for hydro gardens, if the check valve ever did its job, i.e., stopped water from reaching the pump, the valve needed to be replaced. I could absolutely be wrong.

I was under the impression that's how they work. Well, at least in water with my air pumps. I think the ones I used to use on my air pumps for hydro gardens, if the check valve ever did its job, i.e., stopped water from reaching the pump, the valve needed to be replaced. I could absolutely be wrong.

I hope so.

Anyone?

Back