Beer in Bottom of Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2nd new thread in three days. Yes, I am new to this and I thank everyone in advance for your patience.

Originally I was dealing with a flat beer issue with the yeast not combining correctly with the corn sugar in the keg. The solution was to keep the keg connected to the co2 tank set at 12psi in a keezer for a couple of weeks to let it carbonate that way. Friday night my tank was registering 500psi (kept inside the keezer) and Saturday morning it was at the same level. I was out of town last night and checked it first thing when I got home today and I found my co2 tank to be completely empty and an inch of beer in the bottom of my Keezer. I am hoping they are linked to each other. I am pretty sure the beer was leaking out of the liquid ball lock because that is where most of the liquid on top of the keg was. Any thoughts? Faulty ball lock, o-rings, hose not cinched tight enough?

Thank you in advance.

On yeah I'd definitely say they are linked!!! Lol you'll of course need to get a full co2 tank. I'd inspect all your connections especially the suspected leaker. Connect the new co2 tank hit the system with pressure and spray some sort of liquid leak detect on all the connections. I use a mix of starsan/water in a spray bottle.
Sorry you lost your beer!
Cheers

if I was to bet what is wrong I would say the liquid side poppet is the cause. as if it leaks the valve on your tap wont hold back that much pressure. with that being said that is where I would start looking.

Also, if you're using picnic taps, be careful where you put them. If you set them on top of the kegs and don't have much clearance, when you close the lid it could open them up.

Also, if you're using picnic taps, be careful where you put them. If you set them on top of the kegs and don't have much clearance, when you close the lid it could open them up.

How many taps do you have? Are they picnic taps?

One of a few things could have happened.

If you have picnic taps it is possible that the tap got wedged funny and poured all your lovely beer out. Addiitionally sometimes picnic taps do not close all the way and will slowly leak.

Additionally you could have some bad/loose connections in your QD on the beer side and it may have been torqued a little to the side where it leaked. Check the beer out post.

One more thing that could have happened is regulator creep where the pressure increased and since picnic taps seem to relieve pressure well before the PRV will leak all that delicious beer onto the floor.

I found my co2 tank to be completely empty and an inch of beer in the bottom of my Keezer. I am hoping they are linked to each other. QUOTE]

This just happened to me this morning. I checked my keezer for the first time in two days and found a foot of beer in the bottom of the keezer. I had hooked a brand new keg up to a ball lock swivel nut that had just been changed without checking for leaks. Now I've lost the entire batch and have a lot of stuff to clean when I get home from work. Lesson: always check for leaks!

Back