beer in air line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
OK, so i filled my keg up too much. Its been under pressure for about a week. i went to seal another keg, and when i pulled off the air quick connect to the overfilled keg, beer sprayed out. i pressed down the little button inside the beer disconnect and beer shot out. i havent tasted it yet, but i assume theres a good possibility the overfilled keg may be infected since the lines are not sanitized.

anyways, kegconnection.com put all the air lines on and they seem to be connected with a permanent type clamp. these clamps are on both ends, the regulator and quick connect end. i extended the line and depressed the button down to get the majority of the beer out.

questions

1. do i need to pry off the clamps and clean the lines?

2. how do i get enough beer out of the keg so beer doesnt get in the lines? Should i connected the already dirty line back up to it and dispense a beer or two to get the level to drop?

This happened to me once. I hooked the gas line up to an empty keg with the gas shut off. Lifting the end of the line and working my way toward the keg, I could use gravity to drain most of it into the keg. Then I gave it a bunch of quick shots of CO2 which forced what little was left in the line out. there was still some very small droplets clinging to the sides of the line, but no big deal. I left it and it's fine now.

I highly doubt it's infected. I don't think any organisms can live in pure CO2.

I'd hook a picnic tap up to the overfilled keg and pour some out. There should be enough pressure in it to dispense a few pints without having to hook up the beer line again.

Good luck.

i have done exactly what you stated and got everything hooked back up. I poured off about 5 beers, just to make sure it was below the line. The beer tasted great! thanks for the help.

Back