Beer history

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I'm interested in later beer history, meaning from 1600s to the invention of refrigeration.

I understand that people didn't start using hops until what, the 1600s? Is that right?

Besides that, early beer styles must have been flat. When did beer first start being served in glass bottles?

What about kegs? How was English ale stored and served during the 1800s? When did metal kegs become mainstream? Before metal kegs, was all beer bottled?

BetterSense said:
I'm interested in later beer history, meaning from 1600s to the invention of refrigeration.

I understand that people didn't start using hops until what, the 1600s? Is that right?

Besides that, early beer styles must have been flat. When did beer first start being served in glass bottles?

What about kegs? How was English ale stored and served during the 1800s? When did metal kegs become mainstream? Before metal kegs, was all beer bottled?

YouTube. History of beer or How beer saved the world. This is a history channel special. Maybe not the answer to some of your questions but interesting to watch.

Back