Beer has not carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steturbo

Reaction score
I have barrelled by brew for the 1st time and after 4 weeks it has not carbonated I have also tried injecting Co2 and it's still not carbonated, shall i put it back in my fermenting bin add more sugar and yeast and when it's ready prime and barrel again or does any one have other quicker solutions that would work better please advise

It's in a 40pint plastic pressure barrel that I bought from the local brew shop

disclaimer: I don't really know what I'm talking about.

I've never used a pressure barrel before, but if you tried using priming sugar and forced carbonation with no success then it sounds like your barrel has a leak.

No the barrel definitely has not got a leek it's brand new I have transferred it into another barrel and primed it again if that does not work I will be drinking shandy for a long time

What's the temperature while it's carbonating? How long was it in the fermenter before you put it in the barrel? How much priming sugar did you use?

It was in the fermenting bin for 2 weeks at 20/22 degrees C, then I put in the barrel and used 3ounce of sugar and left at room temp for 2 weeks then I put it in the fridge for 2 weeks then just as my friends came went do get a pint and it was flat so I'm confused, it's a blonde larger very nice but no fizz

Hopefully this is a stupid question, but there was yeast initially and it did ferment, right? Aside from that, no reason why it shouldn't have carbonated. Not enough time for so much east to flocc out that it wouldn't carb, your temps are good, that's enough sugar for the batch size, and so on.

I'll concur that it's likely a problem with the barrel itself. Some internet searching shows it's not uncommon for some of the components (lid and spigot) to leak.

Also at two weeks you should have carbed, but it's possible it just needed to sit at room temp longer. I know when I'm using this method (I use polypins instead of pressure barrels) I'm usually as carbed as I need to be in 5-7 days, but the conventional wisdom is 3 weeks at 70f/21c for surefire carbonation.

It had not carbonated so I have transferred to another barrel and primed it again in hoping this might sort it out a little I know the beer will be a bit sweeter than normal, I have also made a pear cider that is not going to be ready for 2 weeks, I have primed that also but I have heard you do not need to prime cider you can just use Co2 to give it fizz is that true?

Well you can force CO2 into any solution for it to be carbonated. Just add constant pressure with the proper psi at temp and you will get the volume of carbonation you are looking for. Are you able to hook this barrel up to a CO2 tank and regulator?

It's just the 8mg single shot bulbs that I am using at the moment but in time I will be getting a larger bottle that you use to inject as and when needed to add more pressure to my barrel, my barrel is 15 psi max

Could you link me to the barrel so I could take a look. After looking at it j could possibly have a more complete idea of your issue.

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-pressure-barrel-23l40-pints/invt/0022554

I have put a put a Co2 lid on instead of the standard lid that comes with it. All threads and seals have had petroleum jelly applied to be made air tight. I have followed the process step by step as given in the instructions, so I am confused why it has not worked

Hi steturbo,

You can easily test if your barrel leaking gas or does not. Just to completely exclude the case of leakage.
Just fill the empty barrel up with the air or co2 under the pressure and put into any sort of water filled container you have - bath, tube, another (bigger one) opentop plastic bin etc. You either 'll see the bubbles come off or your barrel is definitely sealed perfectly :)

Cheers!

Yeah I tried that I sterilised in the bath and made sure it didn't leek then, I heard a lot of problems with this brand of barrel leaking thank you

Latest posts

Back