Beer has been in the primary pail for about 6 months...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
Life kinda got in the way, and I wasn't able to brew for a while.
I discovered a gnarly red ale that has been in the primary pail for about 6 months now.
I pulled half a glass out and it's full of floaties - just confirming that I should pitch this batch.
The floaties look sort of like translucent flakes. The surface looks a little oily.

My gut tells me to pour it out, but a small part of me is hoping someone will tell me it can be rescued.

Any input? :confused:

:D

Kevin

General consensus will be not to pitch, just in case it's still ok.

Maybe try bottling a few, keeping the remainder safe, just in case. If after bottling, the batch is determined to be bad, no harm done, little effort expended. If crappy, pitch the rest.

I think I'm gonna pitch it. The next two brews are going to be my first two on tap, don't want to waste a keg on a ****ty batch!

I'm going to bet that it's bright orange and smells like rubber...

If not, TASTE it!

:drunk:

The last time I tasted a brew that I was unsure about, I spent the night on the can.

Not going to happen tonite.

Kevin K said:
The last time I tasted a brew that I was unsure about, I spent the night on the can.

Then I gotta ask...why'd you post in the first place? :confused:

Seriously, if it smells OK and doesn't have anything growing on it, it's probably OK. Maybe not good, but not likely to do you any gastrointestinal harm.

Kevin K said:

Awe man, do it for...science, do it for....US!

:p

if kegging, probably pitch it. if bottling, a few for science's sake isn't that bad

It might taste soapy due to sitting on the yeast cake too long. You can always bottle it and use it as a "cooking" beer if it does not taste right.

moger777 said:
It might taste soapy due to sitting on the yeast cake too long. You can always bottle it and use it as a "cooking" beer if it does not taste right.

That is actually a really good idea. My wife used to use my more flavorful (and more expensive) beers to make beer bread, brats, etc. and now we keep a sixer of something inexpensive just for that.

nb

Latest posts

Back