Beer has been in the primary pail for about 6 months...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Kevin K

Reaction score
Life kinda got in the way, and I wasn't able to brew for a while.
I discovered a gnarly red ale that has been in the primary pail for about 6 months now.
I pulled half a glass out and it's full of floaties - just confirming that I should pitch this batch.
The floaties look sort of like translucent flakes. The surface looks a little oily.

My gut tells me to pour it out, but a small part of me is hoping someone will tell me it can be rescued.

Any input? :confused:

:D

Kevin

BrianP

Reaction score
General consensus will be not to pitch, just in case it's still ok.

Maybe try bottling a few, keeping the remainder safe, just in case. If after bottling, the batch is determined to be bad, no harm done, little effort expended. If crappy, pitch the rest.

OP
OP
Kevin K

Kevin K

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna pitch it. The next two brews are going to be my first two on tap, don't want to waste a keg on a ****ty batch!

Spyk'd

Reaction score
I'm going to bet that it's bright orange and smells like rubber...

If not, TASTE it!

:drunk:

OP
OP
Kevin K

Kevin K

Reaction score
The last time I tasted a brew that I was unsure about, I spent the night on the can.

Not going to happen tonite.

FlyingHorse

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kevin K said:
The last time I tasted a brew that I was unsure about, I spent the night on the can.

Then I gotta ask...why'd you post in the first place? :confused:

Seriously, if it smells OK and doesn't have anything growing on it, it's probably OK. Maybe not good, but not likely to do you any gastrointestinal harm.

Spyk'd

Reaction score
Kevin K said:

Awe man, do it for...science, do it for....US!

:p

BrianP

Reaction score
if kegging, probably pitch it. if bottling, a few for science's sake isn't that bad

moger777

Reaction score
It might taste soapy due to sitting on the yeast cake too long. You can always bottle it and use it as a "cooking" beer if it does not taste right.

buraglio

Reaction score
moger777 said:
It might taste soapy due to sitting on the yeast cake too long. You can always bottle it and use it as a "cooking" beer if it does not taste right.

That is actually a really good idea. My wife used to use my more flavorful (and more expensive) beers to make beer bread, brats, etc. and now we keep a sixer of something inexpensive just for that.

nb