Beer has a funk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
Let me just start by saying I'm not gonna dump it. I know to just let it ride for a while.

I brewed up Austin Homebrew's blue moon clone, all grain BIAB. I let it primary for two weeks. When I went to bottle it had kinda a funk to it. Maybe rotten fruit smell. It still had some goop floating on top at the time but it just looked like a little krausen. And I hadn't used Wit Bier yeast beer yeast before and new it was a low fluctuating yeast so I didn't worry to much. I went ahead and bottled it, which was prolly my biggest mistake. I cracked a couple open tonight. That smell is still there. The beer actually tastes really good it's just that smell is strong and horrible. It makes it ha rd to drink cause you can't ignore the bad smell while you taste the good beer.

I did some research on this and all I've found is people having it in primary and letting it age out. I don't know if it's an infection or caused by a mistake in my process. As I said I don't plan on dumping it. Since mines in bottles was just wondering if anyone knows if this will go away with time? Should I put them in the basement and forget about them for a couple months or just power through the smell?

Also just wanted to know what could have caused this? And how do I avoid it cause I only made half the kit and have another half to make? I also washed the yeast from the batch to use for the second half, is it ok to use the washed yeast?

It was WLP400 Belgian Wit. Fermented for two weeks at 63f-69f. Didn't take FG (lost hydrometer). I can post recipe if need be.

Did you use too much coriander, and boil it for too long? It can be a little weird if you use too much.

Also, the higher the temp with a belgian yeast, the more funky, banana-y, clovey smell you're going to get. Is there a chance that the temp went into the 70s?

How long did you let it sit in the primary, and did you secondary? Wheat beers typically have a lot of trub and if you let it sit on the trub for too long that can affect the beer as well. A lot of people will bottle their wheat beers after 10 to 14 days in the primary.

If not one of the things above, it's probably an infection.

It could have got high but I don't think so. Just sitting in my kitchen and I'm in Colo so the house shouldn't have been above 70. But it has been warmer lately so maybe I could've missed it while at work. And it was only in primary for 14 days, no secondary.

Its in the high 60s now so I just move my milk stout to the basement to be safe.

Give it time. I've found that beer will clear itself of lots of off flavors as long as there's live yeast in there. I'd assume aroma would be similar.

The recipe would be handy to isolate possible causes, as would a more detailed description of the aroma.

Washed yeast is fine to use, I'll even skip washings on occasion and repitch straight from the yeast cake.

One possible thing to try is put the beer into a glass, let it sit for 5-10 minutes before drinking, and see if the odor is still there.

I definetlty would of transfered it to a secondary and let it sit in there clear up a little bit more and just "age" in general. IMO

Your beer should not have a rotten fruit smell. This could be a form of DMS, possibly with a mixture of sulfur from the fermentation. A bacteria infection could also cause this flavor.

Can you describe your recipe and brewing process (boil time and cooling time and duration)?

The flavor should subside with age.

I agree that a good homebrew club should have some experienced tasters and brewers that can assist you.

I just brewed a Belgian Witbier with WLP-400 and coriander/orange peel/chamomile/pepper additions (check out BierMuncher's recipe). My wife says it stinks, but I dont mind it at all. The beer tastes phenomenal and she agrees with me on that front.

I just think it's the yeast that gives it this aroma. Nothing to worry about IMO. The flavors will meld together in a few days, but the scent of funk is probably there to stay.

It could be your additions...do you have your recipe posted?

Back