Beer gun - pressure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiki_Jud

Reaction score
Using a Beer Gun for first time. The keg currently has about 14 PSI. I want to set the pressure on the Beer Gun to 2 PSI. I have a double regulator and a single but only 1 cylinder. Do i keep the 14 PSI and not worry about pressure to the Keg during bottling, or do i need to keep a line to the keg but reduce the pressure in the keg? Only doing about 12 or 14 bottles for my Son in Law to take home. Will be bottling this afternoon, any tips or suggestions welcome.
Thanks

First, 2 PSI is probably lower than you need to go. But whatever you plan to reduce to... I just reduce the regulator pressure and give the keg a quick burp to equalize, then commence bottling.

If you keep the keg's pressure at 14 PSI, you'll have a foamy mess.

You want to reduce keg pressure to 3-5 psi to prevent foaming as you fill. I only have a single regulator, so that's what my pressure to the Beer Gun is as well.

As posted above. You'll also find that if you put your bottles in the freezer and get them cold, you'll get less foaming.

Foaming is a result of an imbalance between beer line restriction and pressure applied. You can use a beer gun at 14psi. I use a beer gun at 18psi to can or bottle a Berliner and get so little foam that I worry about oxygen exposure more than foam. I also run a long beer line, I think it’s about 10ft and 4mm inner diameter.

I also never freeze the bottles or cans, just sanitize. For the same reason that beer foams less in a freshly rinsed glass, it foams less if wet.

Back