Beer geyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDreher71

Reaction score
So I brewed up an altbier last Sunday, and aside from dropping my strainer into the fermenting bucket, and having to strain the wort twice (it was good and aerated), all went fine. When it got down to a temperature in the low 70sF, I pitched a package of Wyeast 1007 German ale yeast, and took the fermenter to the basement. I few hour later I checked the temperature in the basement, and it was in the low 50s. I thought maybe this was a little cool, so carried the bucket up to my bedroom and a comfortable 67F. It sat there happily overnight and into the next morning, and was still sitting quietly in the corner when I left for the airport and a trip to DC (to include a call into Capitol City Brewery, which was outstanding). I was standing in line at the car rental place, when I remembered to turn on my cell phone on, and found a voicemail waiting for me. Since my wife is the only person who ever calls me, I was pretty sure who it was from. Her message went something like this: "Umm, your beer is spewing all over the bedroom and I don't know what to do about it. It's on the walls, and the carpet. I moved it into the bathroom, where the mess will be easier to clean up, but I'm worried it's going to explode. The lid is all domed up, but I didn't know if I should take it off or not. Call me back when you get this message." Well, obviously, that's not a conversation one wishes to have in the line at Enterprise rental in front of one's colleagues and assorted strangers, so I waited until I got to the hotel. Apparently the fermenter gushed for some time before finally settling down. I asked her if she could get the airlock out of the little hole. She said she could, but that would result in a stream of beer foam squirting a foot or so into the air. In any case, it eventually settled down, and left a big mess, but no real damage. I resisted the temptation to ask, "OK, but how much beer did I lose?" Actually, my wife handled the whole affair with much grace. She did leave the beery splotches on the wall and carpet for me. I don't see what the big deal is, though - I think it's a pretty good color, and am thinking of doing the whole room in beer. :)

5 gallons, and OG was around 1.043. I did a partial mash with 3# of 2-row malt and a pound each of Munich and crystal 10L. I mashed at 149F for about 45 minutes. I used US Saaz for bittering (60 min) and flavor (10 min), and Mt. Hood for aroma (1 min). I added 3# of light DME about 20 minutes before the end of the boil.

After the eruption, it looks like there's still about 4.75 gallons still in the fermenter. I might have to name it Redoubt Alt, after the volcano in the news of late.

Back