Beer Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
Can you carbonate a beer with beergas? I've had a Black IPA hooked up at 30psi for almost a week and all I get is a very thin, delayed head (about 10-15 seconds before any bubbles appear on the surface).

I don't have 2 tanks and I'm reluctant to just empty it so I can get some CO2 to get carbbed up. Is priming sugar the best route to take the next time I keg?

To force carb you have to use 100% co2. Beer gas is for beer that is already carbed and needs to be pushed down very long lines like at a bar.

FYI, To force carb with co2 just set to between 10-15PSI and let it sit for around 2 weeks.

From what I've heard/read, you carbonate the brew as you would have normally, getting the target CO2 volumes, THEN you shift it onto the nitrogen/CO2 mix (aka "beer gas")... Otherwise, you'll need to crank the PSI a lot higher to get it to carbonate up (beer gas is typically 75% nitrogen, 25% CO2)...

Personally, unless you are actively seeking the cascade effect, I wouldn't put an IPA on beer gas. Get some creamer faucets (Perlick 575) and add head/foam to the top IF needed that way. I would reserve any beer gas/nitrogen setup for a worthy stout or porter. Although the 575SS faucets I have do a damned good job of things.

I had a feeling this was going to be an issue, bummer.

Anyone have suggestions on what I could do to get a carbonated beer? I'm guessing it's too late to carb naturally as it's been sitting at 45*F for a week now.

If you are planning to serve it on blended gas you can force carb with blended gas. It will end up pouring like a stout with a creamy head. I force carb my stouts on blended gas at 35psi for 2 weeks.

It is an inefficient use of co2 and therefore more expensive, however it pours so much nicer with less beer wasted to excess foaming than carbing with co2 then trying to get pressure to equalize.

Back