Beer Gas - Stout Taps and Carbing ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CooperBrew

Reaction score
First off thanks to everyone who helped me get my 3 tap keezer up and running and my beer pours perfect :rockin:

Now I'm going to be adding a stout tap/nitro set up to my keezer and have a couple of questions. I have searched the forums and found some answers but unless people use descriptive titles for their threads it's somewhat difficult.

I assume other than the stout tap on one end and the Beer gas tank on the other end that everything in between will be the same? Same length of beer lines etc for a good pour?

Is it true that you carb with the CO2 but use the beer gas to serve? Kinda confused about that one.

Are there different ratio's of Nitrogen/CO2 in beer gas? Most of what I've seen mention a 70% N / 30% CO2. Whne I got my CO2 tank filled at the local welding shop they mentioned they could mix any ratio I wanted.

Thanks

First off thanks to everyone who helped me get my 3 tap keezer up and running and my beer pours perfect :rockin:

Now I'm going to be adding a stout tap/nitro set up to my keezer and have a couple of questions. I have searched the forums and found some answers but unless people use descriptive titles for their threads it's somewhat difficult.

I assume other than the stout tap on one end and the Beer gas tank on the other end that everything in between will be the same? Same length of beer lines etc for a good pour?

Is it true that you carb with the CO2 but use the beer gas to serve? Kinda confused about that one.

Are there different ratio's of Nitrogen/CO2 in beer gas? Most of what I've seen mention a 70% N / 30% CO2. Whne I got my CO2 tank filled at the local welding shop they mentioned they could mix any ratio I wanted.

Thanks

The length of line doesn't really matter like it does for dispensing with co2. The high pressure and restrictor plate in the stout faucet will be forcing the co2 out of solution, so line length to keep foaming down doesn't matter.

I usually carb to around 1.5 volumes or so and then dispense at like 25-30 PSI of beer gas. My carb method consists of setting the co2 to 10 PSI and shaking the heck out of it for about 45 seconds.

Typically beer gas is 25% CO2 and 75% Nitrogen.

:mug:

So you dispense at a much higher PSI on the beer gas? I imagine I'll need a specific Nitrogen regulator as well?

Subscribed as I my set up a nitro system but haven't gotten my tank back from the welding shop.

I can only provide insight on the fact that you do need a specific nitrogen regulator or they make an adaptor that converts a normal co2 regulator.

So you dispense at a much higher PSI on the beer gas? I imagine I'll need a specific Nitrogen regulator as well?

Yup - significantly higher - 25-30 PSI. The regulator will depend on your tank. My gas supplier has beer gas tanks that have the same fittings as a standard CO2 tank, so I was able to just get a cheap-o regular regulator.

It sounds like you're getting your gas from a welding supply place and they were going to blend the gas for you, so you may be able to tell them which kind of tank you want, or you may be stuck with nitrogen.

I'm purchasing a nitrogen tank from an individual, I guess I should ask about the type of regulator I'll be needing. I see they sell adapters as well to use a CO2 regulator on a Nitro tank as well if need be. I didn't know if a different type of regulator was needed because of different filling pressures between CO2 and N.

The welding supply shop I go to is very helpful but their tank price is twice what I'm getting my tank for with shipping. They are helpful though and I get all my CO2 (and Beer Gas soon) and accessories from them. They told me they will do any % mixture I need. They told me the reason they are now open Saturdays for a 1/2 day is for the "craft brew people".

Back