Beer gas question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyHog

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all Id like to thank everyone here for the massive amount of information on this site! Cheers!

Im planning a keezer build and since I own a restaurant I can get a 10lb beer gas tank and have it filled regularly for "free". Do I still need a straight co2 tank or can I use the beer gas for ales, lagers and stouts?

Thanks

Entirely up to you. Never heard of a Nitro Lager but can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be good just perhaps out of style.

Thanks GilaMinumBeer,

I probably wont be attempting a lager anytime soon anyway.

I was just thinking about this. It was my understanding that bars use beer gas to push everything, but most beers are still carbed with CO2. Guinness is carbed with the beer gas mix, giving it those fine bubbles that are whipped out of solution by the stout faucet to give it that nice, creamy head.

I've been considering using beer gas so I can force carb at different pressures, but still serve everything at one pressure with the beer gas mix.

-Joe

Edit: so I can force carb with CO2

You're going to want a straight CO2 tank to initially carb the beer that you keg. Since the beergas is only ~25% CO2 it won't do a good job at initially carbing the beer. Carb it to the volume you're shooting for with CO2, than you can dispense with the beergas once everything is ready. The only reason I know of to use "beergas" is to allow the beer to be dispensed at a higher than normal pressure for use with a stout faucet. If a stout faucet isn't being used, I don't see the point for beergas, but like you said, its free.

The only thing I can remember having to worry about with using beergas to dispense through a regular faucet is loss of carbonation over time (due to the only 25% CO2 content), but I'm not sure how much of a worry that is.

What about conditioning with priming sugar then using the beer gas to push?

Do you guys think I should buy a Co2 tank and just use the beer gas for Stout(I am planning a dedicated stout faucet)

Also get the 10 gallon tank for free drain the beer gas and go get it filled with CO2. Costs me 14 dollars to get my 7lb filled. 10lbs will last you a good long time.

I work at a resort and we use Beer Gas to push everything. We have a couple of bars just have BMC on tap and one bar that has all sorts - Chimay, a couple of different stouts, IPAs, Seasonal Brews, they all come out fine. Granted, not all are exactly carbed to style, but they still taste good.

Back