beer gas or just CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinwollmann

Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up my kegging system:mug: :mug: Just wondering what type of gas is best for a small kegging system max.4 cornies.The gas retailer tells me to go with beer gas,what do you keggers recommend??He said something about beer gas having nitrogen in it .What to do???

colinwollmann said:
I'm in the process of setting up my kegging system:mug: :mug: Just wondering what type of gas is best for a small kegging system max.4 cornies.The gas retailer tells me to go with beer gas,what do you keggers recommend??He said something about beer gas having nitrogen in it .What to do???
Only if you plan to dispense Guinness. 99% of beer's just use co2.

I don't know about prices in Canada but down here "beer gas" is more than twice as expensive.

They say the head is creamier with "beer gas" so you'll have to ask yourself is it worth 2x the $.

Straight CO2 is the way to start. Beer gas is mainly used for stouts dispensed with special taps.

Do you have a normal keggerator or are you trying to push beer through like 30ft of hose? Most likely CO2 is the way to go, but I have given thought to serving all my beers using a nitrogen mix. IDK.. it looks cool (HAHAH!)

CO2.

Beergas (75% N2, 25% CO2) is mostly for dispensing though a creamer or dispensing over very long distances since you need almost 4 times the pressure on the regulator to maintain/achieve the same carbonation level as CO2 alone. That is why its used for creamer taps.. they can crank up the serving pressure and jam the beer though the diffuser plates and still pour.

sirsloop said:
Do you have a normal keggerator or are you trying to push beer through like 30ft of hose? Most likely CO2 is the way to go, but I have given thought to serving all my beers using a nitrogen mix. IDK.. it looks cool (HAHAH!)
I'm going to have a normal keggerator,so I'll just use CO2 then .thanks for all the help guys,this forum kicks a@#!!

Back