Beer Gas or CO2 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
Beer Gas vs. C02, which is better for Stout's and why. Thinking about adding a stout faucet and beer gas to my keezer, but only if it makes a big difference in taste and quality of pour.

It kind of depends on personal preference. A stout faucet coupled with beer gas will give you less carbonation and that thick head. I like it on certain styles, but it's definitely not appropriate across the board. That being said, I just serve stouts off my normal CO2 faucets and they're just fine that way.

Good to know. I would rather not have an additional tank/regulator if it's not really needed. Thanks

Nah, it's not needed. Some people actually don't care for the beer gas/stout faucet setup as they feel the thick head prevents the aroma from coming through. Personally, I like it with stouts, but not enough to invest in a separate tank, regulator, and faucet.

I think it is worth it. The stouts are super creamy this way. The mouthful cannot be beat IMO.

FYI many places use co2 tanks for beer gas (that is how it its here in Tampa). If you do need a nitrogen tank you can get an adapter to make your co2 regulator fit. So you don't necessarily need another regulator if you are serving one beer at a time.

Personally I don't like beer gas. It tends to wash out the flavors of the beer. It's a poor substitute for a handpull in my opinion.

Try this, buy some guinness in a nitro can and some in the regular bottle. See which you like better.

I agree that a stout can be perfectly tasty on co2 but I definitely think the stout faucet is an improvement. Of course, taste is subjective.

So it is not strictly necessary for good beer but that is also true of about half the gadgets homebrewers on here have.

And lets not get off on a tangent about how the different guinness lines are supposedly slightly different brews, they're definitely close enough for a comparison.

Does c02 impart a taste? Where the nitrogen doesn't?
I'm considering the nitrogen. I asked the guy that sells the tanks. He said co2 gives a flavor where as the beer gas won't. The tank isn't cheap but if it improves the quality of the result I'll do it. I'm just curious if it will be all that noticeable.
I'd appreciate hearing about this. I've used c02 for a long time and been ok with it. Has anyone gone to beer gas and loved the improvement?
Wolf

Lost said:
Try this, buy some guinness in a nitro can and some in the regular bottle. See which you like better.

AFAIK, regular Guinness (not Extra) only comes in cans and bottles with widgets, with the possible exception of the "Surger" cans.

Does c02 impart a taste? Where the nitrogen doesn't?

CO2 is acidic. nitrogen is comletely inert. there is certainly a big difference in how they taste and smell. wheather or not you notice it depends on the beer and how well it compliments it.

guiness, for instance, on nitrogen is smoother and less bitter than on CO2.

take a breath right now. that is 73ish % nitrogen you are breathing. now go take a whiff from the inside of a keg. that burning sensation is CO2.

Yes, co2 has a sharp bitter taste. Many say that beers force carbed in a hurry have a 'zip' to them but I believe that's from over carbing, not force carbing per se (it's easy to over carb when force carbing). To best understand the 'carbonic bite' from co2 try seltzer water (not tonic water).

I don't find it to be detectable except when I've severly over carbed a beer while force carbing. I like both gasses, they both have their place. I don't think a ipa would be very good on beer gas.

This probably goes without saying but you also need a stout/nitro faucet to do beer gas.

Yes, co2 has a sharp bitter taste. Many say that beers force carbed in a hurry have a 'zip' to them but I believe that's from over carbing, not force carbing per se

yea i dont see how the CO2 used in force carbonating tastes any different than using yeast to produce CO2. the only difference in taste would come from either the addition of priming sugar, or the extra yeast present in the bottle/keg.

both CO2 and CO2 taste the same...

Thank You audger!, I was looking for a confirmation of what i was hearing and you confirmed it. I'll pick up the nitrogen I guess soon. Do you know by chance what the full tank and gauge will run me? and I see Lost says I needstout/nitro faucet to do beer gas. I figured I would but I am a bit lost on this subject I must admit I haven't researched it much. Any suggestions on where to buy the gauges and faucet?
Thanks Alot,
Wolf

Ok. So "beer gas", which is typically 75% Nitrogen and 25% CO2, is used with certain Stouts because you need a high pressure (~30psi) to push the beer through a "Stout Faucet" which has a metal plate with tiny holes in the nozzle. Forcing beer through this plate causes the effects you see and feel in the beer. The 25% CO2 keeps the low carbonation of the beer there over time. If you used CO2 it would overcarbonate the hell out of the beer being at that high of a pressure. Some places might use a gas blend of Nitrogen and CO2 to push any beer through normal faucets if they need more pressure to get the beer to the tap without overcarbonating the beer by just cranking the CO2 up.

You're really just getting a half carbed beer with thick creamy head. That being said, I have the whole system. I will say it kind of lost it's novelty, but I still like it served either way. Here soon I am going to do a side by side with the same beer (2 different kegs) - one through a stout faucet and one through a normal faucet carbed normally - and see what I really think is better.

fwiw, the nitrogen in the mix used for serving stout isn't there simply to push the beer through the restrictor plate at high pressure. It's there because as our atmosphere is 80% nitrogen, the nitrogen bubbles persist in the brew much longer, thus the creamy body and head persist much longer than they ever could using another gas...

Cheers!

Back