Beer frozen... Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esben

Reaction score
Unfortunately my homebuilt temperature controlled fermentation freezer went haywire and froze my Hefe Weizen in the making.

Primary fermentation was done (one week in, no more bubbles). Should I repitch or will any yeast (wlp300) have survived at all? Help :(

If fermentation was done, I would simply bring it back to 68-72F and let it sit for a few days. I think it will be OK in the end.

Eisbock for the win!

When you say frozen do you mean the top layer froze or do you mean froze solid?

Are you planning to bottle condition or natural carb in a keg? If not, does it really matter? It might just be a clear wheat beer...

If you're going to bottle/nartural carb, it couldn't hurt to add yeast especially if it was frozen solid. If it was just the top layer you might be OK.

Eisbock for the win!

Are you planning to bottle condition or natural carb in a keg? If not, does it really matter? It might just be a clear wheat beer...

If you're going to bottle/nartural carb, it couldn't hurt to add yeast especially if it was frozen solid. If it was just the top layer you might be OK.

Thanks for the thorough reply. It was completely solid, and I'm going to bottle condition. So I'll take your advice and repitch.

It's not 100% true you need a repitch to bottle priming. The most probable thing to happen is to take a little longer to proper carbonate.

In case anyone sees this and wonders, this is what happened.

I let the beer thaw, repitched with fresh yeast and allowed it time to do its thing. I didnt see any bubbles in the airlock so fermentation must indeed have been finished. I bottled about a week later.

The beer turned out fine, but you couldn't call it a Hefeweizen. It had that wheat beer taste, but it remained clear despite the added yeast.

This same thing happened to me after lagering a couple batches over the summer. The freezer has a 'refrigerate' mode so I left it running all summer while I was out of the country. The bottles in the freezer had a bit of frost on them but the beer in them was completely unfrozen. The fermenters, about 40% ice. I was in a hurry on bottling day when I discovered the beer was frozen so I left about 25% of the volume as ice in each fermenter. One batch turned out quite bland because it was a bland beer to begin with. The other turned out quite nice. And of course, they both kick a bit harder than intended, but like most homebrewers, I probably prefer it that way.

Eisbock for the win!

I often read that in beers which primary and secondary fermentation last several months should add fresh yeast for bottle fermentation. What if we add other type of yeast than those we fermented beer and new yeast eat some sugars that "main" yeast couldn't eat? Beer will be overcarbonated or we can have exploding bottles :D
I'm terrified with this vision :D I know that I can add the same yeast but I just give beer more time to carbonate properly (baltic porter was 7 weeks on fermentation and carbonate after 3 weeks without fresh yeast).

I often read that in beers which primary and secondary fermentation last several months should add fresh yeast for bottle fermentation. What if we add other type of yeast than those we fermented beer and new yeast eat some sugars that "main" yeast couldn't eat? Beer will be overcarbonated or we can have exploding bottles :D
I'm terrified with this vision :D I know that I can add the same yeast but I just give beer more time to carbonate properly (baltic porter was 7 weeks on fermentation and carbonate after 3 weeks without fresh yeast).
Time is only one factor. Temperature, abv, nutrients etc can all play a role. But you don't need to repitch in most cases. Yeast is quite hardy and given the proper conditions usually end up doing their job on the carbonation side of things.

I've gone seven months before bottling. No extra yeast. No problem carbonating. Is it necessary sometimes? Maybe. I've done fine without it.

I often read that in beers which primary and secondary fermentation last several months should add fresh yeast for bottle fermentation.
I know one brewery that actually filters out their yeast and introduces a new yeast for bottling.

To the OP, now that's a cold crash, and I am glad it worked out in the end. How much yeastie is the beer, or is it truly like a wheat?

I know one brewery that actually filters out their yeast and introduces a new yeast for bottling.

To the OP, now that's a cold crash, and I am glad it worked out in the end. How much yeastie is the beer, or is it truly like a wheat?

Not at all yeastie. Completely clear, but easy to taste that it's a wheat beer. The Hallertauer Mittelfrüh I used really shines giving a very suddle but delicate taste!

Back