Beer for People that Don't Like Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
So i have started dating a girl who doesn't quite share my passion for beer. She says that she does not like beer. While I understand the notion that someone may not like beer, I find it more likely that they haven't tried the right one for them yet. I've given her tastes of almost everything that I consider to be my favorites and everyone of them seems to repulse her. She won't even touch a miller light or a coors light, that's how much she says she doesn't like beer. So my questions are, has anyone experienced this before? And if so what styles or brands would you suggest? Trying to convert someone here haha. Thanks

I used to hate beer. What you need to determine is what does she not like about the beer. Does she percive an unplesant after taste? Does she think it is to bitter? If you know specificaly what she does not like you might be able to think of styles that are not heavy in those characteristics. I usualy like a more malty less hoppy brew style I would have to add lemon or lime to beer to drink it when drinking hopy beers . I did not think I liked beer until I tried the less hopy styles. If she still doesn't like beer leave her alone just more beer for you.

You also need to be ready to accept that she just doesn't like beer. My wife is the same way. Doesn't matter what kind of beer it is, she just doesn't like it. Not everyone likes everything. If she's willing to try a few different styles, then go for it. But don't expect to convert her. Beer isn't for everyone. If she doesn't want it, then don't push it.

This is a tough one since it is so subjective. I would suggest taking her to a local brew pub that has a sampler that you can order. Maybe trying all the different ones will get her to like something. That is how my wife became a lover of dark beers, which incidentally led her back to trying many styles to figure out what else she may like but didn't know existed (Blond Lager's yes, Cream Ale yes, American Hefeweizen yes, IPA no, etc.) Yes she used to claim she didn't like beer, but it turned out she didn't like half warm Busch from the college keg party, not beer itself in it's many varieties. If that doesn't work, don't sweat it, you don't both need to love everything together, just respect each others tastes.

sounds like she doesn't like beer, if she ain't going for bmc lights it doesn't sound likely she's going to like homebrew/microbrew. Wine Maybe?
If you're really determined to get some beer into her, turn the water off to your place, remove all liquids in the house, and wait. She'll get thirsty sooner or later. If she drinks out of the toilet, you probably don't want her around anyways.

I used to hate beer as well. Then my friend became a homebrewer and I got to taste something other than the macros, that I actually enjoyed.

Try finding her something malty, low on hops.

She won't even touch a miller light or a coors light, that's how much she says she doesn't like beer.

She dislikes beer so much she won't even drink lousy beer? ;)

It's possible for someone to be learn to appreciate something, but only if they want to. If she doesn't feel she's missing anything, then it's tough.

not sure how set on beer you are, but that's partly the reason i brew cider. who knows; some people just can't even stand carbonation while others find nothing especially likeable about beer. each unto their own or whatever. there's some recipes around here for ciders; you can try them dry, or backsweeten with some lactose/splenda and carb them up, or bottle them up still (sweet or dry) after racking and sorbating.

If you're really determined to get some beer into her, turn the water off to your place, remove all liquids in the house, and wait. She'll get thirsty sooner or later. If she drinks out of the toilet, you probably don't want her around anyways.

Oh how true this statement is.

There are a few styles that I've been able to persuade "non beer drinkers" to try and they now keep coming back for more.

My oatmeal stout tends to be a crowd favorite. My sister in law says she doesn't like beer, but the oatmeal stout and my seasonal pumpkin stout she really enjoys.

I've also had good luck with a few others.. I made a raspberry wit by adding some frozen raspberries to half a batch of wit that I made. A funny side effect is that it turned the beer pink. So not only was it raspberry flavored, it looked like a fufu drink! It was good stuff actually...

Apricot ale is pretty good too...

Try to appease her with some apfelwein first and then move her to the brews. If she still doesn't like it, pitch her like you would a yeast.

Next!

My wife hates alcohol of all kinds, and I haven't gotten divorced yet. What am I doing wrong??:confused:

Drink more, get drunk, pinch her a$$ while grabbing her t!t and say "Thar's more of ya' and it's gettin flabby, but it still feels guuuuuuud when I'm druck!"

I'm sure your marital bliss will abruptly end in court.

Drink more, get drunk, pinch her a$$ while grabbing her t!t and say "Thar's more of ya' and it's gettin flabby, but it still feels guuuuuuud when I'm druck!"

I'm sure your marital bliss will abruptly end in court.

LMAO ^^^^^

To the OP see if she likes blue moon or leinie sunset wheat

Lambic really doesn't even taste like beer to me. I've known a few people who just don't like beer but will occasionally enjoy a Lambic. As long as she doesn't mind you drinking beers I think you don't have a problem at all!

southpart-beatdeadhorse.gif
[/IMG]

She doesn't like beer!!!!!! Get over it!!!!!

I've found that you can get a non-beer drinker female with fruity sweet beers.

Start with Lindemann's and work your way to Raspberry Wheats.

I found that chicks love a good Strawberry Saison too...even those that hate beer.

Set up a sampling with a few beers. Guess which beer you think she would like the most. Then think of a few beers that she would absolutely hate - probably not more than one or two. Then start with the nasty ones first. By the time she gets to the last one, it will taste relatively delicious.

This is assuming she will keep tasting after the spitting out the first one.

After many attempts I have realized that my wife just flat out doesn't like beer. I will admit, I haven't fully comprehended that yet so I still make her try stuff, but it keeps getting harder and harder, haha.

My wife has started to like some of the beer I make. She won't have a full pint because for the calories she'd rather eat ice cream, but she does like the oatmeal stouts.

For most of her 90 years, my mother "didn't like beer." It had everything to do with her conception of beer (BMC, as you might imagine), and nothing else. At some point, about 5 years ago, a brother of mine offered her a Guinness. Now I throw all kinds of homebrew at her- stouts, porters, ESB, brown & scotch ales, and she drinks them all, and enjoys them immensely.

If one the guys that posts these "how do I get my girlfriend to like beer threads" ever succeeds in getting their wife or girlfriend to enjoy an IPA, they need to post the results here because I'd like to use the technique for evil purposes.

My wife has started to like some of the beer I make. She won't have a full pint because for the calories she'd rather eat ice cream, but she does like the oatmeal stouts.

I am just the opposite; I ration sweets to drink pints.

My SWMBO has tried a sample of a raz wheat, and she liked it, but still won't drink beer. But she won't drink beer. I'm over it. She is a die-hard rum freak, and vodka makes her clothes fall off.

Treat it as a simple case of classical conditioning, while using stimulus approximation and behavior shaping. Every time she talks about beer, do something that reinforces that behavior. Then, every time she says something positive about beer...reinforce her. Then whenever she takes a sip...reinforce her etc. Within a month or two, she'll been downing Double IPA's and demanding more hops!

LOL, this is totally not ethical and I can't condone that sort of behavior!!! But for behavioral health professionals like me, it's something funny to think about on occasion.

Man that is rough. Have you tried a hefeweizen or witbeer because they tend to be super mellow and squeeze some lemon (orange for the wit) into the glass first. Perhaps she isn't into super hoppy or bitter? Otherwise, try wine? I wouldn't last long with a girl who didn't like beer. lol.

Be yourself. Brew what you like to brew and don't get so fixated on trying to please a girlfriend's non-taste in beer.
If you're really hard set on trying to brew her something she likes (I'll probably get some hazing for saying this) try some fruity wine for the lady.

You also need to be ready to accept that she just doesn't like beer. My wife is the same way. Doesn't matter what kind of beer it is, she just doesn't like it. Not everyone likes everything. If she's willing to try a few different styles, then go for it. But don't expect to convert her. Beer isn't for everyone. If she doesn't want it, then don't push it.

+1. SWMBO is very, very happy now that we started making wine kits. She'll come home in the middle of the week now and open a bottle of homebrewed wine, something she never did before we started making our own. Next batch she will do all the work (sanitizing, racking, etc.) with my help.

Back