Beer Filtration Question - Housing Leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supurb

Reaction score
So I purchased the following filtration equipment, its the 10" beer filtration kit:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00420OIT8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The Lid attaches to the body without any sort of o-ring. When i transfered from one keg to another i gave it a decent amount of pressure but nothing out of control. Once the housing filled up, the sanitation water came right up through the threads of the lid and started leaking out the top everywhere. Lucky for me, it was not the beer. I had to turn it down and find an exact happy medium where it was able to push the liquid out of the top but not have it sqeeze out through the threads.

Has anyone experienced this? Is mine faulty or was it suppose to come with an O-ring? Or do you really have to be that careful about the pressure you are using everytime you use this thing ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesn't sound good. I would hope that an oring is included, especially if the threads are flared. Maybe some teflon tape will help? Also I would be interested in knowing the cost of the replacement filters each as well as how many gallons that they can filter and if they can be rinsed out briefly to keg say 4 batches of 5 gallons at a time.

I did try teflon tape but the threads are so loose that it didn't work, I will have to double the amount used next time. Replacement filters can be found for about $2.00 each if you shop around. My guess is that if run some some sanitizer through it between batches you would be okay reusing it for several batches at once. You might want to run it through backwards to flush it out. Just make sure to leave as much sediment in your secondary as possible so the filter doesn't clog especially if you are using a 1 micron or less.

Yeah I plan to try this one day with one extra keg if I can minimize the work and cost so that it is worth it. I will take my carbonated kegs and filter them through to the spare one at a time while rinsing and refilling the spent keg each time afterwards. I think a hose off will be fine if the down time is 10 minutes. Maybe just a swig of star san from a bucket. No time for bacteria to grow.:rockin:

It looks like it was suppose to come with an O-ring so the place i ordered from is sending me one, Problem solved !

Back