Beer Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipdog

Reaction score
I want to filter the junk from the beer before I bottle it to get rid of the sediment at the bottom. I was thinking about getting a 12" long canister filter with a cheap aquarium pump attached and pump the beer from the primary, through the filter and to the secondary. What do you guys think? Is there a better way?

You should be able to leave most of it behind when you rack to secondary, and even more when you rack to the bottling bucket. By filtering like you said, you're going to run the risk of oxidizing the beer. I would just keep the end of the racking cane above the trub and rack off of it.

If you bottle condition your beer (i.e., add priming sugar), you will never eliminate all of the sediment.

IMHO, there is a better way: be patient and let the beer clear on its own.

There really isn't any way to clean & sanitize an aquarium pump. Plus, it takes about 5 psi to move beer through that type of filter. That's 10 feet in pump-talk. You would be much better off buying a keg and a pistol-type pressurizer to force it through the filter or getting a pump designed for pushing wine through filters.

Good advice. Leave the beer in secondary for at least 2 weeks and get it nice and cold towards the last few days. It will be as clear as you'll ever get for a bottle conditioned beer.

Back