Beer explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsen31

Reaction score
So tonight on my way back from a party, I got a call from my brother who told me my beer had exploded through the airlock. He took the air lock off and cleaned it up because he didn't know what to do. It took me about thirty minutes to get home and when I did I looked online for help. For about 45 minutes, we tried to figure out what to do. Finally I took my siphon tube and and made a make shift blow off tube and put in in my air lock so any foam would go through a drain into my a small bucket outside it.

So I have two questions: 1.) Did I do okay with the blow off?
2.) Do you think the air lock remained off for too long thus ruing the beer? Worried about bacteria getting in.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

1. sounds like you figured out something temporary. Ideally the other end should be submerged in water or sanitizer.

2. Dont sweat it tons of co2 get produced and that pushes lots of volume out.

No worries. It will be ok. People talk about infections so much that it makes it seem like beer has to be kept completely sterile. I don't think anything your beer might have been exposed to has a chance against those swarming yeasties going at it in your fermenter.

You're fine. But out the exposed end in some sanitizer so when your beer is done fermenting, no air will get in then.

The blowoff is a good method. You should do it always from now on. It took an explosion for me to learn that lesson.

Back