Beer explosion!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePonchoKid

Reaction score
Would someone direct me to a simple resource for CO2 basics? Dos and don'ts?

After filling up my first keg and adjusting the CO2 I pulled the regulator release valve or turned the adjustment the wrong way and sphhhhhsshshshshsh haha. I think it was the former action that caused this :eek:

Co2 on, release a little co2 via pressure relief valve on lid, wait till Carb is finished and enjoy beverage.
What's the regulator relief valve?

There's a relief pin under the gauge.

That makes sense. I use the lid pin when I'm adjusting the psi guage?

Someone on here suggested having 1 foot of tubing per PSI you were running your CO2 at. Personally I never knew that, so I had invested in some pressure regulators and googled the ideal PSI for each individual beer (I used to have a 4 tap kegerator). Worked for me, but the tubing solution sounds like a winner!

I'm on my phone so searching is difficult. Search out carbonation chart. It will tell you pressure needed based off brew temp to get proper carbonation.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you want to know how to work the regulator or are you asking about balancing your lines to get the beer to pour properly?

I have this printed out and on the side of my brew fridge...
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

I would also use about 1' per 1psi of serving pressure when pulling a pint. In my case, I usually serve between 8-12psi, so my lines are all 10' long (since I've not designated faucets for specific psi sets.

If you've over carbonated (I suggest trying the two week 'set and forget' method) turn off the gas feed to that keg (or remove the gas QD from the post) and purge the keg about three times a day for 2-4 days. That should remove the excess carbonation from the keg. Put it back on the gas feed and see how it is in a day or two. I had great results using that on a recently over carbonated keg. It pours perfectly now. :rockin:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you want to know how to work the regulator or are you asking about balancing your lines to get the beer to pour properly?

Work the regulator, process of things. Nothing to do with pour.

I thinks they don't want to scare themselves again in the future.

and this^

There's a psi adjustment screw on the regulator, and if it's set too high and I need to adjust it I should pull the keg purge pin to bring it down and level it off again?

Since you have a bleed valve on your regulator I would just turn off the out valve on the regulator that leads to the keg, turn down the psi adjustment screw (usually counterclockwise turns it down), pull the relief valve on the regulator and see if the psi settles where you want it, release the pressure on the keg pin, then turn the flow back on to the keg.

If your keg is already over carbonated though, keep it disconnected until you've got the extra carbonation down as explained above. If the high pressure was only on for a short time then the beer itself shouldn't be overcarbonated.

ThePonchoKid said:
There's a psi adjustment screw on the regulator, and if it's set too high and I need to adjust it I should pull the keg pin to bring it down and level it off again?

Yup. Turn regulator to desired psi. Release extra pressure with lid valve. Also, have extra lid relief valves on hand. They go bad.

Yup. Turn regulator to desired psi. Release extra pressure with lid valve. Also, have extra lid relief valves on hand. They go bad.

Great, thanks. Hopefully the beer that went in to the CO2 hose didn't back wash in to the keg. I'll find out in about two weeks haha

Great, thanks. Hopefully the beer that went in to the CO2 hose didn't back wash in to the keg. I'll find out in about two weeks haha

You need to be more worried that it will wash back into the regulator. You don't want to turn down the pressure too far and then hook it back up to an already pressurized keg. That's why I was saying start over - bleed everything with things disconnected, reset your pressure, then hook back up.

Gotcha. I just realized that with the regulator relief valve I am able adjust and bleed with the disconnected hose

Back