Beer equipment idea for commercial sale - need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
I have an item my family company manufactures that I think I can convert into a viable home brew product for commercial distribution. I would really appreciate some input as I do not know what is available since I have always been using this item
in my brew processes. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390956786.075904.jpg
It's basically a rigid probe assembly with either a telescopic probe or 3 piece probe. We use it for our bottom loading water coolers we make. I use it to syphon out beer from my primary. The telescopic probe is good for adjusting to right above the trub level. Trub height varies between batches, styles and brews for me; the telescopic probe allows me to get the most beer out. Also I can leave the room and let it do
Its thing. It also has a seal around the neck to make it air tight. I have built some other connectors to adapt it into a closed system suitable for pushing beer through a filter into a keg with CO2. Basically filtering from primary directly to keg. However i would never recommend this if i sold it since people would turn their primaries into bombs with the excess pressure. Is something similar sold? Does the market need a product like this? Thanks everyone.

My cost would maybe be 3 dollars maybe 4 per unit including accessories manual and packaging.

I would check out an autosiphon as a comparable product. It allows you to start a siphon without filling the hose with liquid or pulling a vacuum on the tube. Not sure if your unit can do that.

What features does your product have that would make homebrewers want to buy it? Not sure you can go on cost alone, as a plastic racking cane and tubing can be had pretty cheap. If it can start its own siphon, you might have a leg up on the autosiphon if it was priced right or if it was more durable (autosiphons do have a rep for breaking after awhile).

Good luck!

Thanks bill

Is autosiphon what many people use for transferring out of primary?

I will pick one up and try and use it.

I like how i can adjust the length of the tube with my system and how after i start a siphon i can leave it unattended to do its work. If autosiphon can do all of this i will not even consider this project. Was just a curiosity of mine since i never knew what was out there.

I use a racking cane in an orange carboy lid. This let's me adjust the end of the cane to the trub level, and once started I can walk away. I start the siphon with a plastic T and clamp. I like the simplicity and durability. Autosiphons don't seem to last too long. If your solution is simple and durable I might give it a try depending on the cost.

Is autosiphon what many people use for transferring out of primary?

some do because its easy...attach a flexible vinyl tube, pump it up and down to start the siphon.

The other method is to get the regular old racking cane (basically a polycarbonate tube with a goose-neck on the end, cap on the other) and start the siphon by filling the vinyl tube with liquid then attaching it to the racking cane, after the can has been put tinto the wort. The flow of the liquid out of the vinyl tube starts the beer siphoning out of the carboy.

I like how i can adjust the length of the tube with my system

the autosiphon and racking canes typically have a cap on the end that keeps the bottom of the tube off of the yeast layer. I typically rest mine on the bottom and start the siphon...a little distrubed yeast gets transferred, not much...

I also use the autosiphon. It has a clip that snaps onto the shaft and slides up and down allowing height adjustment. They are more expensive than your product I think.

One concern would be the ability to clean the device. A autosiphon is nice because it's transparent and easy to disassemble, with a minimum of parts.

I think you are trying to make something most guys can just use existing technology to do for cheaper

now, look at the other sided of the siphon hose, got a way to hold that on the bottom and help keep from oxygenating the beer?

looks like a lot of foam in the keg pictured, if the hose had stayed on the bottom that would not be there

I think you are trying to make something most guys can just use existing technology to do for cheaper

now, look at the other sided of the siphon hose, got a way to hold that on the bottom and help keep from oxygenating the beer?

looks like a lot of foam in the keg pictured, if the hose had stayed on the bottom that would not be there

Just star san, not beer foam.

Honestly, the auto siphon was one of my best homebrew purchases. 4 bucks is a good price though

Thanks for the input guys. I guess autosiphon does everything. I will abandon this idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't necessarily abandon the idea. There's probably room in the market for two competing products. I just wouldn't pour a lot of resources into it.

I wouldn't necessarily abandon the idea. There's probably room in the market for two competing products. I just wouldn't pour a lot of resources into it.

Yeah, this. Try to think about how else it can be used to distinguish it from an autosiphon. Since there's no set up costs to do as you already make them, it's just a matter of finding a niche.

For example, it looks like this could also be used in reverse to gently fill a carboy without splashing.

Auto-siphons break A LOT. I think there is room for competition.

Back