Beer documentaties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
Anyone know of any good beer documentaries, or tv shows? Either about home brewing, craft brewing or even about the big guys?

There was a show on Discovery (I think) that featured Sam from Dogfish Head, collecting traditional beer recipes. There was also a special called "How Beer Saved the World", also on Discovery.

Anyone know of any good beer documentaries, or tv shows? Either about home brewing, craft brewing or even about the big guys?

My two favorites are probably:

Oz and James Drink to Britain​
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go3rIKghpIE]Oz and James Drink to Britain[/ame]
AND

The Beer Hunter (hosted by Michael Jackson)​
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jb0gnnDJnM]The Beer Hunter (hosted by Michael Jackson)[/ame]

Oz and James is less serious than Michael Jackson although Michael Jackson is a bit more educational if not a bit dorkier and awkward. In fact the Oz and James series is far more entertaining IMHO but if you love beer you really shouldn't pass up on the Beer Hunter series.

I found one on Netflix.. Just search Beer. Its not on brewing but it is pretty informational.

+1 on the Beer Hunter series. A few of them are on YouTube. They are a bit dated but Michael Jackson's passion for beer rang through on each episode. RIP Mr. Jackson.

Also another good show is on Hulu.. Its called Three Sheets. Travels the world looking at beers and spirits.

I remember a show called the thirsty traveler that was pretty cool. It was on the fine living channel. It was a while back though. Then brewmasters on discovery was good. It was dogfish head brewery researching and developing different recipes based on different cultures and history.

Another vote for Beer Wars. It is what got a coworker to finally push the yellow fizz away and explore craft beers. Now she and her husband are total beer geeks, and he's going to start brewing next week with me.

The show with Calagione didn't last long. I think there was a Modern Marvels episode on The History Channel about breweries. I remember seeing train car loads of malt, and giant fermenters at the Budweiser factory. If you have time to read instead of just watching TV, get a copy of Travels With Barley by Ken Wells.

Got to be Three Sheets and Drinking Made Easy. :D

Nothing else I'd rather watch.

That sucks, that show with Calgione was pretty entertaining. Freaking evil BMC empire (if the Bourdain rumor is true).

The Beer Hunter with Michael Jackson is good, but (to my knowledge) you can't really find the complete series anywhere, with the exception of torrents, and even then it'll take a while to find anyone who's seeding. There's another documentary being made specifically about Michael Jackson, his life and his influence on beer culture:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wandermedia/beer-hunter-the-movie

One already mentioned - Three Sheets - was one of my favorite shows when it was on TV and, while not beer-specific, it's got a lot of info on local beer/drinking culture as well as some info on the processes behind the scenes.

If you have Netflix Streaming or Hulu, I would suggest searching for Beer or Brew, you'd be surprised how much will come up.

As far as others go:

American Beer (DVD)
Beer Wars (Netflix Streaming/Hulu)
How Beer Saved The World (Netflix Streaming)
Beertickers (Hulu)
History Channel's Empires of Industry: Beer (Netflix Streaming)
Bloomberg TV's Mentors has an episode featuring the Oceanside Ale Works guys being advised on their expansion by Jim Koch of The Boston Beer Company (Hulu)
Beer Nutz (Hulu) - Haven't had a chance to watch this one yet, but it was on the same channel as Three Sheets, so it can't be that bad.

Avoid "How Stuff Works: Beer" as it's not got much info that you don't already know, and it's actually got some stuff wrong.

I've got a small collection of links to various videos on my site's Video Library. I'll be happy to expand it with things folks post here.

For me, Brewmasters is my favorite for all-around entertainment value, Beer Hunter for being informative, and Beer Wars is my top third pick.

The show with Calagione didn't last long. I think there was a Modern Marvels episode on The History Channel about breweries. I remember seeing train car loads of malt, and giant fermenters at the Budweiser factory. If you have time to read instead of just watching TV, get a copy of Travels With Barley by Ken Wells.

There's always time to read! Also check out Microbrewed Adventures: A Lupulin Filled Journey to the Heart and Flavor of the World's Great Craft Beers, written by Papazian. (I still wish he'd go ahead and publish a new revision of the classic Joy of Homebrewing....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Brew Masters was definitely a good one to watch. Love the episode where they make Chicha and everyone at Dogfish is chewing up corn and spitting in cups to get enough to mash! Classic.

A good one for the homebrew side of things is to check out Brewing TV (http://www.brewingtv.com/). I especially like this show because I can watch it on the Roku I got for Christmas.

Back