Beer clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmooks

Reaction score
I have made three batches of beer so far and they have all ended up with a thin line of sediment in the bottles. I don't mind this but people I share beer with ask about it. I am wondering what techniques I can use to help clear the beer. I filter my beers but still seems to have left over sediment. Any ideas? Thanks

The sediment is yeast that falls out as the beer bottle conditions. Nothing you can really do about it. Some big breweries have sediment in the bottom of their bottles. Sierra Nevada pale ale for example.

You'll always have sediment because you're bottle priming. If you're that worried about the sediment, you can always keg, and then bottle from the keg.

Do you force carbonate with co2 or do you natural carb with yeasties eating sugars?

If the former, you should be able to just use progressively finer filters (not past a certain point though, or you lose flavor I hear). You can also ensure you cold crash before filtering to drop more yeast out.

If you're carbing with yeast/sugar you can't really avoid it unless you carb it like this first then filter it out to your bottles perhaps? Like bottling from a keg can give you crystal clear carbed beer.

edit: lol what everyone else said ;)

If its there even after filtering, what size filter are you using? If your sure it's yeast, so a quick search on using gelatin. That does wonders on pulling yeast out of the solution.

IF you filter your beers, you shouldn't have any sediment at all as a beer filter strips out even the yeast. You'd force carbonate it and then bottle with a beergun or other device.

If you bottle carbonate, you'll always have a light dusting of sediment on the bottom of the bottle. You can minimize that of course by not bottling until the beer is clear, usually after about 2 weeks.

Some fining agents help quite a bit with clarity, like whirlfloc in the kettle. But if the beer is already clear, and the issue is simply some sediment in the bottle, then keeping the beer in the fermenter for up to three weeks, using a flocculant yeast strain, and careful pouring should ensure no sediment ends up in the glass.

I grab a pint glass and pour it for them, careful to stop before the sediment goes in.

Only comments I hear are the nice head on top :).

Latest posts

Back